• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bansai Peppers! (ok just really tiny versions of the real pepper...)

Not sure what happened, could be that I had the plants in small cups for way to long before plant out, could be not enough nuts, could be just my luck.. however, picked some peppers (some may say maybe they weren't ready but I think they were as some never grew for a month or so...) anyway. put a penny, not a giant penny, just a regular ol penny. Anyway, thoughts?

So this was a paper lantern hab

20160706_015214238_iOS_zpsvzdap4ws.jpg

Fidalga Roxa (this one has been this size for over a month...)

20160706_015729002_iOS_zpsouvw1rcw.jpg

Urfa Biber

20160706_015218654_iOS_zpsiesuvkyn.jpg

fatalli (this plant was attacked by nats while I was on vacation and the plant was destroyed (and three others next to it...)

20160706_015222071_iOS_zpsggfgh7bu.jpg

Aji Omni (these were really tasty and I think the closest to being regular size)

20160706_015209788_iOS_zpsaghcbeyd.jpg

It's not uncommon for chile plants to put out random small pods. Though it has not been my experience, some say they always get small pods both very early and very late in the grow season. Likely the individual environments makes a difference. Regardless, "ready" is when you say they are. If you like certain pods green, then they're ready sooner than if you like them ripe. Size is not an indicator of ripeness, but color is. It looks like all the varieties you are growing are red when ripe, so I'd say all but possibly the second are ripe. The third looks like it could have been left just a tad longer to ripen, but it's at a stage where if you wait a few days it will ripen even off the plant.

Back