• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Barrel aged hot sauce

I love Louisiana hot sauce so it’s exciting to see a barrel aged version. It’s very reminiscent of the original but the vinegar doesn’t hit as hard. Definitely some bourbon notes coming thru with a slight smokiness on the finish. It’s priced at $5.99 a little more than double than the Original. Is it worth the price? Well no 😂 I’ll stick to the original but I will still enjoy this refined version of Louisiana. Makes me wonder what other hot sauces are barrel aged. Is Barrel aged a gimmick or do you think it’s a trend that will grow?

3CF9C982-2AC9-4C58-AC08-E6920BAAE577.jpeg

Makes me wonder what other hot sauces are barrel aged. Is Barrel aged a gimmick or do you think it’s a trend that will grow?
Trend??? You know Tabasco is right? And regular Louisiana too. This time they just happened to use whiskey barrels, when usually, they use barrels that were used for hot sauce.

They probably call it double barrel because they use their regular barreled sauce and move it to whiskey barrels for this version. Definitely pretty cool. Thanks for the tip. I like this brand as well.

Cool! I don't think it's a trend, I think it's more expensive and has to be small batch since you have to buy the barrels from a distillery instead of buying new white oak barrels. So this makes it more of a limited run thing. I often wonder how the hell I can buy Jack Daniels smoking chips and on the bag it literally says they are from JD barrels. I was looking for some weird wording where they ware "flavored" or something. I mean just how many barrels are they destroying just to make smoking chips? 😂 But they do work well.

Oh they are my favorite chips now really. I've always liked oak but this is another level of oak:

Awesome read though!

"Is there any leftover bourbon or alcohol from the barrels that seeps into the mash?
No, when the distilleries retire barrels, they completely remove any traces of alcohol. Once McIlhenny Company receives the barrels, we open up the barrels, remove the char and wash them out before rehooping them with stainless steel rings."

So you're right it's all aged in whiskey barrels. Louisiana just decided to skip this step and charge double lol

It would be cool to go take a tour of the Louisiana and Tabasco facilities .

So you're right it's all aged in whiskey barrels. Louisiana just decided to skip this step and charge double lol
LOL. I guess that's what the Double means then 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Yeah I wasn't sure which companies used new or already used barrels from spirits. Good read on that one, yeah. Some cheaper sauces age in blue plastic barrels. Maybe that is what Louisiana usually does? No idea. Good topic here anyway.

So a little detective work, the Original Louisiana Hot Sauce is made by Bruce Foods in Iberia LA. And I went to the Bruce Foods website and on their homepage they even have blue barrels soooo yeah. Blue barrel aging, and the oak is a limited edition.

1676172916398.png

Back