• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Base of stem being eaten away...please help!!!

Does anyone know what may be causing this?
It seems that the base of the plant is rotting away or being eaten.
The plant itself seems to be doing fine but I'm afraid if this continues, the plant will die.
I had to use strings to prop the plant otherwise it would fall over on its side :(
550271_519560108083861_1780488981_n.jpg
309890_519560131417192_60681784_n.jpg

Its in hydro yes? The medium is too wet and it is rotting away. I had this issue with a goats weed that was well over 4 feet tall when it collapsed.

What medium is that? I've not done hydro, but the surface of the medium looks a lot like it's got the fungus that causes damping off.

Ah - so could be fungus. See if you can scrape the surface off as much as possible, then spray it with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water to help kill anything you didn't scrape off. Keep spraying for several days.

Well surprisingly the plant is still doing well (fingers crossed). Will update in a few more hours when the sun is out to let you guys know what's going up.

Ok so I just had a look at the plant and it really seems that there are shoots growing just above from where the stem started to rot. Again, the plant seems fine and I know that it's still alive and still growing because I just spotted another flower bud!

Back