• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking BBQ is Zen

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
I'm chillin' in the backyard, sipping beer, smoking ribs and chicken... it's so relaxing just sipping beer (I say sipping because when you BBQ everything seems to slow down) while enjoying the gentle wafting of hickory smoke.

thehotpepper.com said:
I'm chillin' in the backyard, sipping beer, smoking ribs and chicken... it's so relaxing just sipping beer (I say sipping because when you BBQ everything seems to slow down) while enjoying the gentle wafting of hickory smoke.

So sipping beer is Zen? :lol: I've never seen it that way. Maybe now I've found the first step on the way to enlightenment! I'm so grateful oh Sifu! I'm now going to my fridge for some meditation.

the only difference is my wood of choice is cherry.. the sweet blue smoke drifting in the air slowly filling my nose with such a wonderful aroma..

Zen it is...if you dont know what i am talking about, then it is hard to explain..lol

Ribs being smoked, Corona (on sale, had to) in hand, salute!

Apple wood in effect (buzz too) in the smoker, now that is the smoky aroma goodness...

Just got home from doing some conputer work, decided two things:

a. serious lack of beer in fridge
b. fargin' beautiful 83F day out

So, I decided to walk to the Cenex and enjoy the meander. :D

Saw some purdy trees and flowers, and the traffic was low being a Sunday.

Oh yeah, I got BEER too.

Now back home in lounge attire, having had a nice Sunday stoll, and sipping my beer.

Life's good.
zen-22.gif

Glad I wasn't the only one enjoying a kensho moment in the backyard.

Apple and maple smoke on chicken wings and sipping some cold beer. :cool:

I just finished. Only ate a half chicken. Nice lunch for a few days.

I BBQed for 7 hours while you were at work just for that post :P

wasn't my BBQ, but went to a park that had a festival going on and got a brisket sandwich that was very good. it was early evening and about 85F out with a little breeze...very nice...and some eyecandy in short shorts and sun dresses :)

I'm gonna get me some of this zen action this weekend hopefully. I'm so flat ass broke I can't buy beer, and have resorted to rolling cigs from a month old can of tobacco. I needs me some BBQ zen, and luckily I've already got three racks of baby backs in the freezer ready for the 4th of July. Something truly relaxing about closing the lid, and giving the meat of your choosing over to the goddess of the flame! Something even better about lifting the lid hours later and nommin on your afternoon's accomplishments.

I pulled the left over chicken and made a chipotle mayo chicken salad.

I had a "zen" like day a few weeks back. I usually start off the full day BBQ session with a great cigar and some good coffee. Then move over to the kegger around lunch time and try to hold back long enough to get the food off the smoker. The good thing about cooking on the smoker is if you lay down to relax your back and doze off for say 4-5 hours and forget end up smoking your food for say 14 hours the meat is not only good it's usually better!

Back