food BBQ / Pulled Pork Sammiches - Pickles or No Pickles?

Just curious - I am a person who prefers pickles on my BBQ sammies. I find the tanginess of the pickle goes perfectly with the sweetness & savory notes of the BBQ sauce. 

While discussing with friends the other night this was a surprisingly polarizing topic.  Wondering what the general opinion on this was. 

to pickle, or not pickle your BBQ sammy - that IS the question! 
:cheers: 

Pickles.gif

For me, it depends on the pickles, I hate most pickles. I'm a pickle snob. The only ones I buy are made by Don Herman's. I'm not sure if that is local, regional or national. My pickles have to be garlicky and dilly, no sweet stuff for me.

I would take them or leave them. If someone (or restaurant) thought pickles were a good idea, then sure! I can't say pickles yes or no 100% . I like variety. They definitely work on Cubano's!!!!!

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Add pickles, that is. Like scovie, I like variety. Try something besides a standard pickle - pickled okra goes well, for example, and gives a different flavor profile.

I see it's exactly as polarizing here as it was among my friends - even split darn near. 

I agree it's a regional thing - and re: type of pickles and type of BBQ sauce that's an interesting point as well.  I typically go for the dill pickles and forgo the "bread & butter" pickles. SilverLeaf's bread and butter ghost pepper pickled garlic is heavenly though.  And pickled okra is ok, but I'm really referring to pickled cucumbers or what most people think of as traditional "pickles". 

Personally I prefer the tanginess of the pickle on my BBQ beef or pulled pork sammy regardless of the style of BBQ sauce. 

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Just curious - I am a person who prefers pickles on my BBQ sammies. I find the tanginess of the pickle goes perfectly with the sweetness & savory notes of the BBQ sauce. 
:cheers:

Pickles I can go for, or not, but BBQ sauce on fresh pulled pork? You damn Californians. Sauce covers up the meat. Hot sauce YES. BBQ sauce... Plah! Mostly because the stuff at restaurants is molasses sweet junk with liquid smoke. Still though. Hot sauce is wayyyyy better, and necessary. Surprised you'd use BBQ. Doesn't a local joint there even serve LDHS?

Back