• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

BC's Fatalii

so, it only took 2 years but i harvested my first fatalii. last year i had 100% flower drop on my fatalii plants but after some nurturing and babysitting, i have 3 soil plants with flowers and pods and 1 younger plant in hydro that looks promising.

overall, it smelt like an intense orange hab and tastes very similar to an orange hab. i didn't get an explosive fruity flavour, just an intense orange hab. this was kind of a let down because i do have a prized orange hab plant that is 3 years old and has an absolutely wonderful flavour. the fatalii glistened with oil inside and the aroma filled the area as i cut into it. 9 seeds out of the pod, for the size i thought i may score 20-30 nope. 9! the heat, i didn't ingest the full pod. i don't do that, nor am i a video taping kind of guy, i sliced of the end tip and ingested a piece about a 1/4" in length and it was definitely hotter than a standard store bought hab. my nose was dripping, lips and tip of my tongue burned, no back of the throat but then i only touched on a piece of the placenta. that's it, that's as descriptive as i get.

now for some insignificant information, in the pic is the fatalii pod, along with our wonder canadian currency: top is a 25 cent piece, with the classic moosehead(called a quarter by most), below it is our 10 cent piece dawning "old bluenose" a clipper sailboat and champion of many world competitions(we refer to this piece as a dime). below it a 5 cent piece with our national animal the beaver(we called it a nickle - at one time it was made of nickle). finally, our penny, the 1 cent piece pictured with the canadian mapleleaf but for reference i put in a US penny. most of our coin currency mimics the american coinage. Queen Elizabeth is pictured on the face of our coins.

now that the useless trivia is out of the way, here is the picture:

HPIM1980.jpg

Hope your able to harvest many more.......sometimes the flavor defers between pods on the same plant, maybe the next few will have that upfront citrus punch to them...

Nice!!

I'm swimming in Yellow Fatalii pods, but my red turn out to be a yellow. I still haven't tried the red one yet.

Way to go!!

i heard the red fatalii flies in the heat free zone.

i actually goofed on the dime(10 cent) "old bluenose" was a schooner and not a clipper, at the time i couldn't remember the name schooner and clipper stuck in my front cranium - just incase there are any sailers eyeing the post. another worthless fact, the dime was made of silver but converted to nickel in the late 60's when new immigrants to the country, who knew the value of precious metals would melt the money down for its greater cash value. when nickel became too expensive, ya, a .10 cent piece that had a retail value of .10 cents but an asset value of .50 cents. now they are made of steel.

this world just keeps getting smaller with the internet and forums like this, i thought showing the size of the pod against a length of coinage would be different, instead of just a single coin. then i thought, europeans, asias, south americans and other visiting members may not know the reference size of a countries currency, so tossing in some history might be worth the read. like watching an international movie late at night, listening to the foreign language whilst reading the subtitle along the bottom of the screen.

the plant this pod came from has several more and my other plant has about 15 various size pods, so i am hoping that one of those pods will take on more of yellowish colour, versus the orange colour and deliver that citrus "smack" i am expecting.

Very interesting and thanks for the info.
I have heard that the yellow fatalii have a much higher fruit flavor to them then the red fatalii.

In case you are wanting a good heat level and great fruit flavor, i really dont think you can do better then the Datil pepper. Its my favorite. It is by no means a very hot pepper. I would put my plant somwhere around the Tabasco range in heat, not Habanero, but the flavor is just amazing. I cant stop eating them raw off the plant, I dont do that with Tabasco :) PM me if you want some seeds

i have two datil plants in hydro, thanks to RedtailForester. though large, they are not ready yet to produce pods.

first and foremost, i am a grower, and really don't care about heat levels, i strive for flavour. since i spent the money on super hots, i used my expertise this year in germinating and growing the superhots in my not so friendly hot pepper environment. well, now i have way too many plants and have to decide what lives and what dies. though i like what i have been through and experienced.

at first i was excited about fatalii because of the hype on this forum but after the taste it is nothing more than a injected orange habanero, like the gold bullet habs, they too are marginally only different than a orange hab. hot lemons, that is a different story they are a burst of lemony flavour with a punch of heat. for heat, i have my goatsweed and those red beauties pack a wallup of heat, that which exceeds my orange habs but again for raw out flavour, not what i strive for.

now, i can hardly wait for my datils to deliver and one other, a bonda ma jacques that is also in hydro, thanks again to Redtailforester. the bonda is exploding out of my hydro station as is my douglah, i don't think i am really going to enjoy. i have several bhut varieties just starting to flower but realistically won't see anything until next year. i do have 2 butchT's but they really hate my environment, both soil and hydro, they just don't want to grow.

my next to ripen are caribbean reds and i am waiting on some dundicut. the dundicut kind of interest me as a fresh raw pepper, i have had them dried but not fresh.

BC IMO you don't have a true Fatalii there. The ones I have harvested this year and in the past out of a friends garden(since mine were all red fatalii's this year due to cross last year..)...anyway true fatalii's look like this in color

100_1291.jpg

Next time I talk to him I will see about getting you some pure seeds and sending them to you. Pepper-guru on here may also be able to help you out with them.

BC IMO you don't have a true Fatalii there.

thanks for your input guy. this is where i got the seeds from. the picture on the website matches the end product, so i got someone's version of a fatalii.(i plan on ordering seeds this year from a supplier that promotes a lot of peppers from the andes mountains and they sell the yellows, i will just order from there).

https://www.seeds-organic.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=38_39&products_id=549&osCsid=qchh2b9ga8rsupgfalhjq04ht0

i was expecting more of a yellowish hue to the pod, so i started doing some googling searches and found pictures of fatalii that varied from bright yellow all the way through to this golden-yellow. but then while checking g6csy, guess what? they now list an fatalii orange.

here, i found the mcdermotts posting a video. momma mcdermott immediately describes the smell as "habanero". and yes the pod is wickedly hot as they are describing, when i cut the pod open you could see the oil glistening, almost oozing out. for a couple of hours after my taste event i could still feel/sense the aroma on my breath. here's a funny note, while watching their video at 5:45 you hear the phone ring and the answering machine... it's the same system i have here, i was looking all over the house for the phone, then realized it was in the video, dah! well, there you have it.
i am guessing greta's going to get a spike in fatalii sales!

Back