• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

BeagleStorm vs. SilverSurfer's One of Everything box.

SilverSurfer was going to send me a box with a few peppers. When I opened it.... It pretty much had 1 of everything on his table. The post office missed the delivery window so they arrived a bit stressed. I decided to do a marathon all night tasting of the non-superhots while they were still fresh. I have pictures of most of these if you want to see one let me know, or you can just look at SilverSurfer's grow log.

SS Grow Log Picture

Here are the results:

Siling Labuyo - Small and thin 1” red peppers, very juicy, building hot burn, Tabasco type c.frutescens. Thick tough skin, thin flesh. High seed count. I personally don’t like the texture of Tabasco type peppers. Unusual flavor I want to say kind of smokey sour. Not a favorite of mine at least not for fresh eating. Overall it's really the texture thing that I like the least. If used for sauce it would work well if you like the flavor.

Maui Purple - c. annuum poddy flavor but smooth and fresh with a hot stingy burn. Nice looking pod. I really liked this. After researching it I like it even more. It is apparently a very beautiful ornamental pepper plant from hawaii. Peppers grow upright, and turn from dark purple to red when mature. Plant has dark purple stems, green and dark purple leaves, and violet-purple flowers. I plan to put a few of these in my front yard as landscaping and bonus tasty peppers. This is the first ornamental I have had that tastes nice.

Cherio Recife – I had high hopes for this, descriptions were very positive. Small .75” peppers have nice nipple shape, med-low seed count, mild-med red c. chinense flavor, I tasted a hint of cherry but mostly a lot like normal red habanero. Still pretty good, better than plain red hab. I am growing this, it is a very pretty plant.

PI 250660 – red, smooth, 1.5” pods. Medium-low seeds, Poddy smell, with a really nice sweet fruity flavor. Reminds me of a lot of an Inca drop but less heat more fruit flavor. I was really impressed with this. No heat and a baccatuun flavor but not sure if it actually is a bac. Very cool

Prik key nuu dang – nice deep red pods, 1.75” long flavor I found to be bitter, smokey, maybe soapy? Medium heat, Nice texture, shape & color. Tons of seeds. Not a favorite

Prik key nuu suan – Thick skin, bitter, minty? Medium heat. Mehh

Pimenta Neyde – Strong Chinese odor with something extra like black peppercorn? Cool purple pod and white inside, nice Chinese flavor but a bit harsh, bitter not smooth. Hard to eat entire pod. Medium heat. Plant itself is so cool though definitely worth a look.

Quintisho – 1” Yellow chineese smelling. Very tatsy. Mellow yellow. Balanced flavor, not super flowery like a lot of yellow are. Med heat with stingy throat burn, easy to eat. I like this one.

Prik si som - Orange 2.5” carrot shape, annum pod texture with a very weird taste, almost sour. All these Prik peppers seem to have this sour or strange flavor overtone. It must be a unique and acquired taste, I have not developed.

PI 441598 - Peach lantern blunt nose pepper about 1.25”. Medium heat with no odor and med-low seeds. I loved this one. Flavor was a really cool subtle plum-apricot maybe a bit of peach freshness. I just kept wanting to eat more to figure out what it tasted like. Very nice smooth balanced flavor. Heat kind of built up to medium. Awesome, probably my favorite non SuperHot of the box.

PI 144629 -Yellow bullet pod about 1.25”. Poddy fresh bland flavor. Very juicy fresh crunchy like eating a firm flavorless green grape with out skin, low heat.

Peruvian Chinense – Nice cool looking deep red nipple shape 1” pods. Flavor not a favorite, it has a very strong chinense hab flavor. med heat

Bonda Ma Jacques – I had had this before and thought it was average. Tried this one, it had a nice yellow color with a good mini-fatali shape pod, not over powering fruity like a lot of yellow pods I have tried, very subtle, light, smooth yellow flavor. I know yellow is not a good flavor descriptor, but I have never been good at describing the yellow flavor. You just have to try a few different yellow c. chinense to understand. Med hot. 1st yellow I really enjoyed in a while.

Morouga Long – habanero looking pod, super strong red chinense flavor, hot. Very nice velvety Scorpion/Hab texture, nothing special.

Inorka – A very nice surprise. Sweet and hot. Long thin 6” deep red pod. Med-low seeds. Hard to describe flavor, it is a poddy annuum flavor but sweet and well balanced. I kept nibbling on this the entire time. Could not find any info on this pepper.

Inchanga – Same look as inorka but smaller, thinner 4” pods. Not as sweet has a fresher almost like green apple like twang to it. This one seems a bit hotter, but I think I prefer Inorka a little better.

Prik See Dang – just when I had given up on the Prik peppers this one was a nice finish. 2-3” thin red pepper. Low seed count. Still has a tougher skin then I would like but flavor is nice, balanced with medium-hot heat. Tough skin would hold up better when cooking I suppose.

Wicked looking bright red pod. Medium size, not as big as a Brown 7, but bigger than average. Skin feels a bit thin, not as plastic as a 7, it also feels thinner than a 7 or a scorpion. More like a Bhut Jolokia. When I cut it open there was a strong rush of fruity / floral smell. Medium seed count but they are pretty small making eating a whole pod easier if you are so inclined. Texture is like a Bhut Jolokia, feels a bit thinner than a normal 7 and nothing like a scorpion. Flavor was very similar to a Red 7, very fruity. I was able to eat every bite with out thinking it tasted bad. I need to try a scorpion again to refresh my flavor memory. Heat was brutal. Started with a light sting but built up quickly. Concentrated in the tongue, back top of the throat and tonsils. Heat was piercing and felt like a hot coal was forced down your throat. (Hot coal stage) No weird side effects like ringing ears, or hiccups, or aching teeth. Best of all no stomach pain at all. It's 1 hour later still no razor blades, just a nice warm stomach. Heat was definitely in the top 3 or 4 ever. So hard to say definitively because there are so many variables but it is definitely a contender. Thanks SilverSurfer!

Same wicked looking pod but a nice deep, dark brown. Medium size, not as big as a Brown 7, but bigger than average. Skin feels a bit thin, and gives when you press it. Does not really feel like a 7 or a scorpion. You can't really squeeze a 7 it really feels like hard plastic. Scorpions feel more like a habanero. When I cut it open there was a sweet mellow earthy odor. Almost exactly like a chocolate Bhut Jolokia. Kind of a signature brown pepper smell. Medium seed count and they are pretty small just like the red one making eating a whole pod easier if you are insane. (It had 62 seeds) Texture is like a Bhut Jolokia, feels a bit thinner than a normal 7 and nothing like a scorpion. You could see the drops of oil oozing from this one. Flavor was initially very similar to a Chocolate Bhut. However, I was not able to eat every bite with out thinking it tasted bad. Towards the top the capsaicin really took over and it started to resemble sweet battery acid. LOL Heat was beyond brutal. Started with a light sting but built up quickly. Concentrated in the roof of the mouth, back top of the throat and tonsils. Heat was piercing and felt like a hot coal was forced down your throat and being held in place by a powerful plasma blow torch. No weird side effects like ringing ears, or hiccups, or aching teeth. I did get quite a bit of stomach pain. It lasted about for about 15 minutes after I turned off the video. Not razor blades, but more just a bad stomach ache. It's 1 hour later and I feel fine now. Heat was definitely in the top 2. Quite a bit hotter than the red one. Similar to what I remember the Brown 7 like. Silver Surfer sent a Brown 7 from seed that I sent him last year in the box so I will TRY and have that tomorrow to compare the heat. I also want to compare the flavor. I remember the Brown 7 tasting very very good. Thanks Silver Surfer this one is a killer.

Quite the review master! I have 5 chocolate bhuts,5 paper lanterns and 5 Not yellow 7 pots(instead they are whitish 3 sided short conicals, just starting to yellow) I brought out on the boat with me that are just turning color, I have been getting antsy to start on em.Watching those reviews has made it easier to wait till they have all completely turned color(they are 50/50 right now-half are turned the other half need to finish).
Cheers-
DJ
ps- Since you listed the brown 7 and the chocolate 7 separately, these are differnt 7's? Is there a taste difference?

The master reviewer strikes again! That was a lot of pepper eating Michael hope you're not damaging yourself. Thank you for the great reviews.

You are a machine.
Thanks JAG, Sometimes when I eat a mild or medium chile and I get zero heat, I feel like a machine. LOL

Unbelievable, part machine/part human!!
Thanks SH, having a smorgasbord of chiles to try makes it a bit easier and more fun to do.

i love how you take the time and write up an actual review, too lazy to do that XD
Thanks, It's for everyone here and myself. If I don't write it down, I will forget the details by January when I sow.

Nicely done sir! :mouthonfire:
Thanks MM

Quite the review master! I have 5 chocolate bhuts,5 paper lanterns and 5 Not yellow 7 pots(instead they are whitish 3 sided short conicals, just starting to yellow) I brought out on the boat with me that are just turning color, I have been getting antsy to start on em.Watching those reviews has made it easier to wait till they have all completely turned color(they are 50/50 right now-half are turned the other half need to finish).
Cheers-
DJ
ps- Since you listed the brown 7 and the chocolate 7 separately, these are differnt 7's? Is there a taste difference?
Thanks for watching gnslngr. I got a late start to the testing season. It was a nice break just watching the reviews instead of doing them. Here is a link to answer all your chocolate/brown 7 questions:Chocolate/Brown 7

The master reviewer strikes again! That was a lot of pepper eating Michael hope you're not damaging yourself. Thank you for the great reviews.

Thanks Patrick... No, no worries. I have no shame and no problem throwing in the towel when I think a chile is going to incinerate me. I do this for fun... so as soon as it gets... not fun... I ease back. All the stuff I tried in the marathon session was relatively tame (it was actually done over 2 nights). Still have the Brown 7 and Primo to do.. after that, Work is going to keep me busy this week so I probably won't test anything again till Friday. Hot Pooper is sending an Evil box tomorrow including White 7, Purple Bhut, and... uggghhh it hurts to type it... Butch T x Douglah Cross. Thanks Sean!

2011-09-07_22-12-29_255.jpg

2011-09-07_22-41-42_293.jpg

The audio messed up for some reason right as it was getting intresting.. however, it is actually still very funny to watch with the audio screwed up.

The description from my solo Brown 7 review last year holds. I really love this pepper. It's a huge wicked looking pepper with fantastic heat and still a very good taste. Nutty, mellow balanced flavor. High seed count, and the texture was nice for as thin as the skin looked. It chewed up much more velvety than it looks like it would. Heat was extreme, but unique and more of an overall burn. It was a lot more enjoyable burn than the Douglah crosses I have been having. The heavy burn also lasted a bit longer than normal SuperHots. Overall a great pepper and I can confirm now that I really do like it a lot and it will stay on my top 10 favorites. Thanks SilverSurfer!

Your videos are great. Very descriptive. You have this down to a science. Were do you find those gloves?

Thanks for watching Newtune. Way to eat that BrainStrain! That one is a killer. I would have loved to have seen minutes 3 through 10 of your video. Camera phone is better than nothing, and if you crank up the light in the room most cell phones can take pretty good movies. I got the gloves on Amazon, make sure you get Nitrile gloves, capsaicin will eventually go right through latex.

Nitrile Gloves

Back