• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Beaglestorm vs. The Red Rocoto Pepper

Awesome! This has been a good week! They just keep getting better and better. Not very hot but incredible flavor. More like eating a fruit than a vegetable. Heavy dense, extremely thick flesh. Juicy like eating a plum or grape. Biting into the flesh is a sweet, juicy and fresh experience. You just want to keep eating and eating piece after piece. Heat sneaks up on you and delivers a nice tingle. I canÂ’t say enough good things about these pubes.

I know people prefer to see the reviews of the nuclear hot pods, but I have been wanting to review a Rocoto forever. I not sure if I can even grow them in my 100+ temps but after trying them I have to try.

Buddy's on the left, SilverSurfer's on the right
2011-10-09_00-13-03_152.jpg

2011-10-09_00-15-41_870.jpg

Great review as usual! and i personally enjoyed this review as its not only nice to see the review of Nuclear pods but reviews of other pods too. i had one growing but went on vacation and came back to it toasted! i will be trying again once i get a seed to sprout.

thanks again!

Eric

I have some Red Manzanos just barely popping right now! I'm also looking forward to growing something different. Nice work Michael, again!

Great review I was lucky enough to win a box from Buddy extra pods and found a rocoto it was very flavorful not what I expected. Saved the seeds for next year grow list.

I just introduced some non-chilehead friends to rocotos last night. It was fun watching folks that had never experienced anything more than store bought salsa trying a pepper like a rocoto.

great review beagle. i didn't get a lot of pods but the ones that i got made it worth while. i've never tried drying them - just eat the fresh off the plant.

Thanks for the review, Beaglestorm. I've had no luck with these growing in containers for two years running in Kansas, but I will overwinter some plants and stick them in the ground next year. McDermott01 said the ones he planted in full sun in Ohio did the best for him. Go figure. Finicky plant, but sounds like it is worth it.

Another great review Mike. I'm sure they could be dried. but none of mine have ever made it to the dehydrator. My favorite way of eating them is to stuff them with a 50 - 50 mix of cream cheese and Pepper Jack cheese, and not use anything heavier that would mask the fantastic sweet chili flavor. If you think they taste great raw wait until you try them stuffed with cheese and baked. Cooked the flavor is altered and improved even more.
tasty.gif

I'm going to try growing these in the garden next season and move completely away from pots. I just hope they survive the added heat in full sun with only shade from their neighboring plants.

The guy from fatali.net has smoked rocotos in a Bradley smoker they look jummy. How come his look so huge they are as big as an apple lol
http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=112&Itemid=115

Nice review as always keep em cummin :beer:

(I have had some of his powders and they extremely nice highly recommended)

The guy from fatali.net has smoked rocotos in a Bradley smoker they look jummy. How come his look so huge they are as big as an apple lol
http://fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=112&Itemid=115

Nice review as always keep em cummin :beer:

(I have had some of his powders and they extremely nice highly recommended)

There are many different varieties of C. Pubescens, some large some small. Sadly the larger type I'm growing has only now just started producing pods and may not make it to ripe before winter arrives.

If I was able to grow this species successfully, it would no doubt represent 60%+ of my peppers for a given year. They are amazing for many reasons.

Chris

I was thinkin stuffed my self, nothing crazy, just a meltin cheese like a rellano. Nice work, ya eat some hot stuff, but it looked like it got ya a lil... I would love to sample one of those.

ive got two growing this year waiting on the pods to ripen, it was actually reading a post of smokemasters on garden web that got me to plant them in the first place!Ive been waiting months to finally taste one of these bad boys, great to hear more positive feedback!

it is very nice to read a review about rocoto
after growing hot peppers for several years, i also realized that in order to really enjoy them to the
fullest, it will be better to grow few other sorts than just capsicum Chinese.
that way, also other members of the family can enjoy those healthy fruits,
some hot chili have excellent aroma that is almost hidden behind the hit,
and it is very nice to use aromatic but less hot peppers for fresh salads or cooking.
i never grew or tasted rocoto, but heard that it tasting very fruity,
some say melon sweet, other say its reminding sweet fresh but hot bell pepper,
there are probably different tastes for growing conditions,
and there are so many pubescens types.
I'm glad to hear that they are not to hot,
are the ones you growing are good producers?
what was the average growing climate? (light shade, temp)
are they big enough to be stuffed?

Great review. I can't wait to try one of these. I have one growing in the ground that I started a little late. It's a huge plant, but only has about 15 green pods about the size of a cherry. I might just have to dig it up and put it in the greenhouse to see if I can get a ripe pod out of it. I will definitely try to overwinter it. Keep em coming Beagle!

Back