• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Beef arm roast (English Roast) jjigae

Hoping to get this done today after a quick visit to the doc and the Korean market

Beef arm roast
Old homemade kimchi
Daikon
Onion
Green onion
Gochugaru to taste
Maybe some bok choy and/or Taiwanese cabbage also

Fresh Thyme has these roasts on sale for $2.79/lb

Cook the arm roast in a little beef stock, onion and dashi stock after browning.
Add daikon and kimchi when its getting close to done. This will end up with the kimchi being cooked longer than i normally do for kimchi jjigae but will make a much richer broth,

This is almost a Chinese Korean fusion of sorts. Sichuan beef stew (sorta) with bok choy, daikon and the addition of the kimchi. I picked up some good Akita Otome rice yesterday otherwise i would cook up some noodles to go with it.

Pops wants in on it

Pops cant make it to dinner until tomorrow

Beef roast and kimchi soup is on hold.

The Korean market had the JUMBO green onions (dae-pa). These suckers are almost leek size and very commonly used with beef soups in Korea. They also had a sale on young radish kimchi and i cant get the correct young radish fresh. All natural fermented too...no crap added!!! Half gallonish was $10. Got a small package of pickled mustard greens too and a sealed bin to keep my rice safe.

Roast is browned on all sides and 3 large slits were made to speed up cook time
Excessive fat was poured out but its still gunna be fatty
Returned the roast to the pot with 2/3qt Kitchen Basics no salt added beef stock, 1 qt water, 1 medium onion quartered, 1tbs minced garlic, 1 5gram pack of Riken sardine/kelp dashi and 1.5 tbs gochugaru.

Light simmer started a few minutes ago. It will probably take a couple hours before it close enough to add the daikon, dae-pa and kimchi. Decided on using up the kale (near the end) i have left instead of green bok choy.

Nq1y4xW.jpg

P58j2kw.jpg

yqZ1Mll.jpg

IHA3Tiz.jpg

Back