• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Beefsteak seedlings droopy.

Howdy folks this is my first attempt at growing tomatoes. My beefsteak seedlings seem to be a little top heavy should I repot them deeper or do you stake seedlings? All help is appreciated.

Plant deeper and get a fan on them or rub over the tops of the plants gently several times a day. The stems will get stronger if you do. Also, your lights might be too high. What are you running for lighting?

Plant deeper and get a fan on them or rub over the tops of the plants gently several times a day. The stems will get stronger if you do. Also, your lights might be too high. What are you running for lighting?

I keep a fan on them 24/7 I'm running 2' 4 bulb ho t5s 6400k about 6 inches above the seedlings for about 12 hrs on 12 hrs off. These beefsteaks have grown much quicker than the nbd tomatoes and any of the peppers ive got.

I use some strategically placed wood skewers early on. My tomatoes always start off leggy, and often need a bit of support. They'll soon get stronger/thicker stems.

thirdcoasttx said:
I keep a fan on them 24/7 I'm running 2' 4 bulb ho t5s 6400k about 6 inches above the seedlings for about 12 hrs on 12 hrs off. These beefsteaks have grown much quicker than the nbd tomatoes and any of the peppers ive got.
I use standard 40 watt shop lights and have them almost touching the top leaves. I don't know how T5s compare. New big dwarf will be smaller than the beefsteak at all stages. I grow several different dwarves and they are all much shorter and stouter than the indeterminate types from the beginning. I don't think nbd will get too much over 3 to 4 feet tall.

Back