• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

issue Been forced to bring inside.

Hi THP,

Due to the short growing season in the UK and my hopefulness of a late summer some of my plants weren't quite where they should be as light levels dropped alongside night time temperatures.

I've since purchased a grow light in an effort to ripen off my last plant and as an aid to over wintering/starting early for next season.

I've had no pest issues, leaf issues and have only really encountered stunted growth which due to limited space I'm not too fussed about this season.

After a week under the light although I've finally got my first few ripe chilli's from the plant I've noticed leaf curl.

IMG_20210923_103200988.jpg

This only appears to have happened since coming under the light, there's a touch of yellowing on one or two tips but very slight.

I only top dressed the pot when I first brought it inside 9 days ago and gave it a light feed from the bottom yesterday.

My lights 1000w equivalent quantum board and is 18" from the the canopy.

I'm quite happy to leave it alone in the hope it's due to adjusting to its new surroundings but I'm cautious if I it's anything else that it could get more severe.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Going to get our first LED grow lights this year. So in for the Education. :fireball:
Good luck to my friend. :)

Similar with the education this end to be honest.

I've had a skeg around and there's around five different things it could be from what I could see yet I've just come off the phone with a friend who suggested a sixth option that leaf curl up could potential be a low humidity issue.

I've not really planned to grow inside at all so I'm very ill prepared and don't even have a high/low thermometer and humidity sensor although they are en route as we speak.

Two even younger plants, a piri-piri and red hot chilli pepper (not a clue what the RHC actually is as was quoted at up to 80'000shu and I've not seen any I can purchase anywhere near that hot) I'd topped twice as I was aiming to have very short bushy versions. Due to the topping they seem to have developed super hench stems (more so on the RHC than the PP) appear to be suffering from oedema slightly.

I water as little as possible due to the wet uk weather, haven't had any issues with the ones I'd done outside and have continued to treat the ones I've brought inside in a similar manner. That's why the oedema diagnosis seemed odd yet the only possibility from the symptoms I can see, I've plenty of space and a fan constantly circulating air but I felt that potentially the humidity levels inside were higher than outside and I wasn't getting enough air exchange due to trying to keep aphids out.

If it is oedema on the RHC and PP then I struggle to agree with my friend the leaf curl is caused by being too dry. Alternatively if it is too dry then I'm worrying now that the issues on the RHC and PP may be something else. - Hygrometer will help with this quandary once it arrives.

I'm also now at a point where the RHC and PP are starting to flower and I've cross pollination potential, although I'm not too fussed if that happens as they appear similar heat ratings and the results could give some variation if it does happen.

I'll upload some pictures from my phone of the RHC/PP.

Have you been doing a bit of research on the light front?

It could be a sign the light is too close and the leaf is trying to retain water.

Possibility number 7!

Thanks for replying, I had considered this myself. Having never grown peppers under lights and struggling to find anyone who has properly reviewed the light I've chosen means it seems to be a little trial and error.

I'd figured with this plant been grown outside and hardened off that the light from the lamp would nowhere near match intensity of direct full sun, still I've got it around 18" from the top of plant. The manufacturer recommended 12"-14" for "flowering" so figured it was geared towards growing more medical plants than chillies and gave it a little more room. Thankfully it's dimmable so I've decreased the intensity for the last few days in an effort to exclude this option.

If it was due to the light been too intense/close and the leaf was trying to retain water, would it relax to a flatter shape once it was resolved?

Possibility number 7!

Thanks for replying, I had considered this myself. Having never grown peppers under lights and struggling to find anyone who has properly reviewed the light I've chosen means it seems to be a little trial and error.

I'd figured with this plant been grown outside and hardened off that the light from the lamp would nowhere near match intensity of direct full sun, still I've got it around 18" from the top of plant. The manufacturer recommended 12"-14" for "flowering" so figured it was geared towards growing more medical plants than chillies and gave it a little more room. Thankfully it's dimmable so I've decreased the intensity for the last few days in an effort to exclude this option.

If it was due to the light been too intense/close and the leaf was trying to retain water, would it relax to a flatter shape once it was resolved?

For anyone wondering if the leaf would relax as per my question, can confirm that leaves did not relax with decreased light intensity.

I've since possibly had issues with "thrips".

The "thrips" I have/had don't seem to be having any negative effect. No leaves have been devoured, no stunted growth from what I can tell. Had been squishing as many as I could find as soon as possible.

I can't say whether it's correlated but as numbers of "thrips" have decreased I've since seen an increase in aphids that I've previously not had a visible problem with.

This has been compounded by new growth appearing deformed.

I'm now wondering if the "thrips" were beneficial or if the aphids are an unrelated new issue and my squishing was enough to stop the "thrips" causing any harm to the plants.

Last edited:
Back