Beer Advice Needed: Aged/Fermented In Bottle

cheezydemon said:
AHH! A Conniseur.

True, but Lambic is a bit of a freak in the beer world. It is fermented by bacteria, not yeast. So technically, it already is bad, from day 1 in the bottle.

Excellent point though.:cheers:

actually lambics use wild yeasts by simply leaving their doors and windows open during certain times of the year. no doubt, there is bacteria and who knows what else in there..since they can't filter everything but wild yeast out.

grenny - i think it is fairly common for shots of the sediment and a bit of beer to be had at bars in belgium. either way, i don't mind the taste..it mostly tastes like the beer, with only a slight deviation from the regular flavor.

xgrafcorex said:
actually lambics use wild yeasts by simply leaving their doors and windows open during certain times of the year. no doubt, there is bacteria and who knows what else in there..since they can't filter everything but wild yeast out.

Brettanomyces to be exact. Nicknamed "Brett" in the brewing world. Tough stuff to work with as it'll infect everything. Consequently, most home brewers won't touch the stuff. Has a pronounced flavor resulting in a very sour beer.

greeny said:
Brettanomyces to be exact. Nicknamed "Brett" in the brewing world. Tough stuff to work with as it'll infect everything. Consequently, most home brewers won't touch the stuff. Has a pronounced flavor resulting in a very sour beer.

Exactly, Brett is not a wild yeast. It is bacteria.

There is some new post in the welcome forum from a beer brewer from Australia, We need a few more real beer enthusiasts IMHO.

Well, TECHNICALLY

"Brettanomyces is a non-spore forming genus of yeast"

I believe you may be referring to Lactobacillus, which is also used in fermenting Lambics?

Lactobacillus is a bacteria
Brett is a wild yeast

Ahhh! I stand corrected. Thank You! I have never tried to make a lambic, and I am afraid that Sam Adams is the only one I have tasted (although I hear that it is not a true lambic) The SA Cranberry Lambic is like carbonated robitussin. Yuck!

I get some Rasberry Lambic imported from Belgium. Good stuff.

Myself, never tried to brew it. Brett and Lacto are 2 things that will never come near my brewery. 1 outbreak and everything is contaminated. May as well just buy new equipment at that point unless you want to sanitize every little crack in every piece of equipment. And even then, Lacto has been known to sneak through.

That 's what I hear too, unless you just want to brew lambics from now on.

Had you seen that homebrew website? It is the same software as this site so it is userfriendly. I love it.

so far, my favorite lambic was oud beersel oude kriek. it is pretty sour to say the least. was a bit strange at first..haven't not really tried many lambics (only having had a sip or two of some lindeman's and the SA lambic..which i don't really count.) turned out to be pretty tasty though.

if or when i try my hand at homebrewing again, i have no intentions of attempting to brew a lambic..or anything else that utilizes spontaneous fermentation. i guess geographic location would play a large role in that as well.

cheezydemon said:
Ahhh! I stand corrected. Thank You! I have never tried to make a lambic, and I am afraid that Sam Adams is the only one I have tasted (although I hear that it is not a true lambic) The SA Cranberry Lambic is like carbonated robitussin. Yuck!

sa CL is essentially trash. buy some kind of cantillion, they are usually easy to come by

ross said:
what lambic?
If the local guy is in a good mood and I'm nice enough, I can normally get 3 Fonteinen Hommage, which I absolutely love. Upland here in Indiana also makes a KILLER Lambic. I actually prefer it to most "authentic belgian lambics". If all else fails, I can normally find Lindemans easily, which is actually pretty good for as commercial as it is.

ross said:
what brewery?
The one in my basement

greeny said:
If the local guy is in a good mood and I'm nice enough, I can normally get 3 Fonteinen Hommage, which I absolutely love. Upland here in Indiana also makes a KILLER Lambic. I actually prefer it to most "authentic belgian lambics". If all else fails, I can normally find Lindemans easily, which is actually pretty good for as commercial as it is.

The one in my basement

3f makes some of the best lambic i have had. good choice there. lindemans is garbage except for the cuvee rene.

'the one in your basement' ? when you say you have a brewery, i am at least expecting some commercial type facility. come on now, i want to buy some beer :)

ross said:
sa CL is essentially trash. buy some kind of cantillion, they are usually easy to come by

Thanks, I will. And I will not take it into my basement either lol.

I have an excellent APA just carbing up in the bottles rigt now.

2 "brew/bottle days" ago (3 weeks or so) I was bottling a Helles Munich Lager and brewing a fairly simple APA.

A rare blunder, I ran out of caps. I have always kept so many on hand that I sorta forgot to check my inventory.

So rather than dumping the last third of my lager, I added it to My apa once it was brewed, just to see how it would turn out.
I cracked one over the weekend and it is delicious. Amazing complexity from the hint of hallertaur that comes through complimenting the cascasde nicely.

Back