• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

BeerInHand 2017 Grow Log

Planning on growing out 650 seedlings on an ebb and flow/flood table in my basement under lights. Last winter I grew about 75 seedlings in a tyvek tent I threw together powered by an old metal halide.

Pricing out a commercial flood table was pretty depressing. The cheapest I could find was $160 and pallet-based shipping waaaay more than doubled the price. After many hours of deep thought, I came up with following design, which is much sturdier and heated as well!

My design uses a single 4x8 sheet of PVC cut into three 8' strips 5" wide, and the remaining sheet 8'x33" wide. to create a ~ 95" x 32" flood table with 5" sides. First a frame is built using 2x8 and 2x3s.

wZomQRnl.jpg

1x8s are screwed on to create the sides, and the 5" PVC strips, glued to the 1x8s. With 3 sides on, the table surface is dropped into place, all sealed up with silicon in the seams.

0DfzgoCl.jpg

The final side is attached, and some screws put into the PVC to firm it all up. 

h8iBXLpl.jpg

On the underside of the table, I hung a 48' string of incandescent lights and then screwed a sheet of 1/2 foam insulation on to box the heat in.

3LdbW9Jl.jpg

Two 4' 6-bulb T5 lights make this puppy shine.

IjTTNQol.jpg

I decided to hang it from hooks using chains instead of using legs. My basement is pretty unlevel, and a couple of twists of an eye hook is a much easier way to micro-level the level of the table than trying to shim up 4 different legs.Since this is meant to be a flood table, I want it to slope just slightly to one corner so it can drain. For those unfamiliar with the concept, a flood table fills with water from a reservoir on a timer and then slowly drains back into the reservoir after the plants take up water.

Here's a short video showing the table filling with water - http://i.imgur.com/ra9CisQ.gifv

The table will hold 13 1020 trays (depending on the exact dimensions of the tray which can vary between 21x11 and an actual 20x10). I put 600 seedlings into pots last night, representing 65 varieties. I left one tray empty for now waiting on late arriving seeds.

eBtGmpIl.jpg

I threw a second sheet of 1/2 foam insulation over the top of the table to trap in the heat and get those seeds popping. The lights under the table are doing a wonderful job, keeping the table at a steamy 96F. I'll leave them covered until the first ones peek out and then give 'em the lights.

yjmfur3l.jpg

Flood Table Parts list:

2x3x8 -- qty 3 -- cost $2.07 -- extended: $6.21 link
2x8x8 -- qty 1 -- cost $10.45 -- extended: $10.45 link
1x8x8 -- qty 2 -- cost $8.65 -- extended: $17.30 link
PVC Sheet 4x8 3/8" -- qty 1 -- cost $78.00 -- extended: $78.00 link
Silcon Sealant -- qty 1 -- cost $6.24 -- extended: $6.24 link
Liquid Nails -- qty 1 -- cost $3.57 -- extended: $3.57 link
Submersible Pump -- qty 1 -- cost $10.95 -- extended: $10.95 link
Heating/Light Rope -- qty 1 -- cost $24.97 -- extended: $24.97 link
Foam Insulation w/foil back -- qty 2 -- cost $12.95 -- extended: $25.90 link
Ebb & Flow Fitting Kit -- qty 1 -- cost $9.95 -- extended: $9.95 link

Sub Total $193.54

Have Home Depot cut your 4x8 PVC sheet on the panel saw at the store for the straightest cuts. Have them cut off three 5" x 8' strips from the PVC sheet to be used for the table sides. This will leave you with a ~33" x 8' section that will be used as the table surface. You may also want to be sure the sheet is exactly 8' long - mine was a bit longer and I had to trim it myself. Also check for damaged sheets - they had a different brand, smooth on both sides that was normally $99 that they gave me for $30, so my final cost on the entire build was actually under $150.

I also needed lights for the table - here's what I got.

4' 6 bulb fixture -- qty 2 -- cost $95.00 -- extended $190.00 link
Timer -- qty 1 -- cost $13.95 -- extended $13.95 link
2x3x8 -- qty 1 -- cost $2.07 -- extended $2.07 link
Hanging straps -- qty 1 -- cost $9.76 -- extended $9.76 link

Sub Total $215.78

I also needed seeds! I ended up spending $156 on seeds from about 6 reputable vendors, include
Refining Fire - http://www.superhotchiles.com/
Butch T - https://butch-t-seeds.myshopify.com/
AJ - http://peppersbymail.com/ 
http://pepperlover.com/
https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/

as well as some trades arranged on this forum

Varieties:
  • 7 Pot Lava, Chocolate
  • 7 Pot, White
  • 7JPN (7 Pot Jonah X Pimenta De Neyde)
  • Aji Lemon
  • Aji Mango
  • Aji Pineapple
  • Apocalypse Scorpion
  • BBG7, Chocolate
  • BBG7, Lava
  • BBG7, Red
  • BBG7, Yellow
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate
  • Bhut Jolokia, Peach
  • Bhut Jolokia, Red
  • Bhut Jolokia, White
  • Bhut Jolokia, Yellow
  • Bhutlah, Black
  • Bhutlah, Brown
  • Bhutlah, Mustard
  • Big Black Mama
  • Big Mama, Mustard
  • Black Naga
  • Borg 9, Bleeding
  • Brain Strain - Red
  • Brain Strain - Yellow
  • Brain Strain, Chocolate
  • BTR Scorpion
  • Bubblegum, White
  • Carolina Reaper, Chocolate
  • Carolina Reaper, Peach
  • Carolina Reaper, Red
  • Chocolate Primo/Reaper
  • Daisy Cutter
  • Devil's Brain
  • Devil's Tongue, Red
  • Fatalii Jigsaw
  • Fatalii, White
  • Fatalii
  • Genghis Khan's Brain
  • Griefer 2016 F1
  • Habanero, Giant White
  • Habanero, Lemon
  • Habanero, Orange
  • I Scream Scorpion
  • Jay's Ghost Scorpion, Peach
  • Jay's Ghost Scorpion, Red
  • King Naga
  • Kraken Scorpion
  • MA WartryX
  • Moruga, Chocolate Brain
  • Moruga, Red Brazilian
  • Moruga, Red
  • Naga Viper, Aryona's Chocolate
  • Nagabrains Chocolate - strain 1
  • Pink Tiger
  • Piri Piri (Uganda)
  • Red Brazillian Ghost
  • SB7J (Scotch Bonnet x Jonah 7 Pot)
  • Sepia Serpent
  • Sugar Rush, Peach
  • Tabasco
  • Thunder Mountain Longhorn
  • Trinidad Douglah 7 Pot
  • Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
  • Trinidad Scorpion Jonah
  • Yellow 7 Pot Primo
  • Yellow 7 Pot
  • Yellow BBG Stinger 2016 F1
Like so many gravestones....
hU16bukl.jpg

Pruning is always hard. Coming at your babies with some scissors? Gruesome. But the results? Awesome!!

Here's two shots 1 week apart. From a stem to a bush in 7 days!

mLImSNJl.jpg
<==>
MJry674l.jpg.jpg

Bam! That's so nice. These are gonna be some nice bushy plants.

See a pic from each day: http://imgur.com/a/fsZ1N

Quick update - over the past two weeks I've been doing some heavy pruning. Afterwards the table looked so bare, but things are filling back in nicely - too nicely in fact. I'm starting to worry that with everything bushing up so much I'm going to run into issues with airflow long before the weather is good for putting in the ground. Live and learn I guess. It just means that the 1-2 hour weekly pruning task is now going take many more to keep things growing.

Here's a full table shot after this week's pruning:
zfkdNfZh.jpg

Here's a close up of one of the trays:
GDSZOheh.jpg

Here's a shot of a nice looking Yellow Brain Strain:
0FAchaUh.jpg

And one final shot of one of my most interesting plants this year. Seeds from what was supposed to be "Daisy Cutter" but grew this cool variant with whitish leaves:
W8PXCp0h.jpg

On the outside note, last weekend I put down black tarping over a 50'x25' section of the yard. That will allow me 6 rows of peppers each 4'x50' long. Each row will hold 24 plants. I plan on planting 2 of each variety of the ~70 varieties I have growing, The 2 plants will be spaced 1 foot apart, then I'll skip 2 feet and plant the next group. Something like this:
ylNdIBnh.png

I expect by the time I'm ready to plant, the grass under the tarp will be dead. I'll then cut circles out of the tarp and use a 8 inche post-hole digger/auger to drill out the existing soil to about 1 foot deep. I'll fill each hole with a compost/coir/perlite mix and run a drip line to each plant.

Any suggestions for a good mix to fill my dug out post-holes with? At this point I'm figuring on buying mushroom compost by the yard and hand mixing it at 15% coir/15% perlite/70% compost. Maybe adding some blood or bone meal in the bottom of each hole? I need to do some research.

Ok, it's been a while but here's an update - 650 2x2 inch pots on this space was crazy! And I started in late November, so I'm 4 1/2 months in already.

QIm4kBEl.jpg

The plants have grown crazy roots under the trays and it required some serious pulling, untangling and tugging to get these plants separated again.

Z4R9Y7ll.jpg

The peat pots have turned to mush and have no integrity left, so I pulled each plant from the tray and repotted into 2"x2" plastic pots.

eFR61yll.jpg

It was very labor intensive and I have to buy 400 plastic pots to put them in, but it is done and now I have a better handle on what I have and the plants are sorted. I repotted 2 of each into 16oz solo cups, destined for the outside garden (130 total plants, 65 varieties). The rest I have available for sale. PM if interested, I'm looking to move these quickly and cheaply. Probably 12 plants shipped for $40, mailed out within the next 2 weeks depending on weather.

gTQZ2mYl.jpg

Here's a nice healthy tray of Reapers with fat stems and busy growth.

GUNVTNol.jpg

This Piri Piri plant is a monster!

Howdy THP! It's been a few weeks since my last update. It's been productive, but also boring. The garden is in, but May has been too cold for much growth.

April 09:

The plastic ground cover had been down since February and taken care of the lawn under it nicely. Instead of containers, I'm going with plants in the ground. I am drilling out the soil with an 8" auger to about 16" deep and replacing with conditioned topsoil. At the bottom of each hole I put a cup of worm castings, cup of gypsum, a handful of shredded cardboard and 1/2 cup 5-10-5 slow release fertilizer.  I cut a 9" hole in a round plastic snow sled and used that as a template to cut the holes with a razor knife. Then I put the sled over the hole while augering to catch the dirt as it was excavated. It made the job of removing the dirt much easier. Most of the excavated dirt I put in the bottom of my existing garden boxes layered with last fall's leaves.
LEnRgiyl.jpg

April 29:

Finally getting the plants in, but it turned out this was a bit early. Philadelphia's May was basically 50F and raining, with nights into the 40's. Oh well, live and learn...and then make the same mistakes anyway! I really had no choice - the basement table was a jungle and overgrown.

A another dumb mistake, I moved my over wintered plants out one day before the last frost! Doh! They all survived but were stripped bare by the frost.

pebTK2kl.jpg

My over-wintered plants were put into the garden boxes. I'll think twice about bringing plants in next winter after I got aphids in my cellar grow room. The over-winters were on the 3rd floor and brought aphids in with them. My grow room was in the basement but somehow those pesky aphids managed to find their way down 3 flights of steps and a couple of doors to get to my seedlings. Ladybugs took care of the problem in the end but I ended up with a couple hundred plants that I could not sell as planned. Next year I'm only growing what I need.

5DwI4zWl.jpg

June 3rd:

Oh well, I said I was going to skip containers this year, but I had so many seedlings left. The garden is finally fully in place. 175 plants covering 75 varieties. Cold weather slowed upward growth over the past month, but I suspect plenty of growth has been happening downward as roots. Steady rain through May also kept everything watered.

Next project is installing drip irrigation.

SteCj20l.jpg

I'm using shredded cardboard in my garden boxes this year. Typically I put down heavy brown paper and cut holes in it similar to how the black plastic is. Sprinkling shredded cardboard around is much easier and free. Worms also love cardboard.

df1GncPl.jpg

Here's my overwintered Carolina Reaper - and a shot of it from last year.
8jtpalmm.jpg
7M9JTwvm.jpg

Thanks for reading! I'll be back soon with an update. I expect June will come with explosive growth!

Hello THP! It's been 6 weeks since I posted, so here's a quick Grupdate!

A shot of the garden currently. It's starting to get hard to walk between the plants, but between the rows is still clear. Hopefully my spacing was good and I don't end up with a solid square of plant!
BM2mAidl.jpg

My plants are being fed with ACT made with vermicompost from my worm farms.. Adding about 3 quarts of worm castings to this pot with a bubbler in the bottom and then dropping the entire thing into bin with 16 gallons of water. Add 12 oz black strap molasses, put a lid on it and let it bubble for 2-3 days. A submersible pump inside a paint strainer bag in the bin is also run occasionally to churn things up and then to pump the tea out into a bucket.
zKrtMIyl.jpg

Here's a few of the gnarliest pod shots:

Chocolate Naga Brain
ipvIzSFl.jpg

Black Naga:
yEfbLP0l.jpg

Big Black Mama:
7FBquJIl.jpg

Devil Brain: (thanks AJ!)
We9N8yel.jpg

Sugar Rush Peach: (thanks lovepeppers!)
FBctyXnl.jpg

And finally, this beautiful Aji White Lightning Plant (thanks again lovepeppers!)
w8OHYNhh.jpg

TTFN! Updates should be coming more often now that there's something to report!

Back