• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bees or not to Bees?

Forgive the cheesy title :D

I'm going to attempt growing a few super hots and jalapenos in buckets outside this year, and wanted to know if I need bees ( or any pollinator) to pollinate my plants for pepper yielding success? If so, what would be 'good' to plant around to attract them? This will be my first attempt at growing peppers...and I'm a little nervous as my plant growing resume includes 'killing' an indoor bamboo plant....that just sat in a small vase with water!! I was told that was pretty bad :tear: I have PLENTY of wasps and yellow jackets.

Thanks in advance.

I've heard of peppers self pollinating, but I'm confused as to how that works? Are pepper plants different from others as far as the pollination aspect???

Pepper plants are asexual in that they don't need another flower in order to pollinate...

Next time you look at your pepper flower, note that the girl part is the slightly longer tube in the middle, and the boy parts are the 5 or so colored bits around the tube (obviously that are not the leaves).

The way it works is the wind blows, pollen leaves the male parts, and at least one bit hits the female parts... One of them pays for a hotel for the night, and within 24 hours the flower has started to wilt... within a few days you'll be able to see a pod inside of the wilted flower... eventually the flower falls off.

Pepper plants are asexual in that they don't need another flower in order to pollinate...

Next time you look at your pepper flower, note that the girl part is the slightly longer tube in the middle, and the boy parts are the 5 or so colored bits around the tube (obviously that are not the leaves).

The way it works is the wind blows, pollen leaves the male parts, and at least one bit hits the female parts... One of them pays for a hotel for the night, and within 24 hours the flower has started to wilt... within a few days you'll be able to see a pod inside of the wilted flower... eventually the flower falls off.

thanks! :)

Yeah that's right... 9th grade was the last time I looked at this stuff :) I am just happy I can remember pistils, stamen, and some of the other terms haha.

I would go with wasp. Not only do they help pollinate they will also get rid of pest like caterpillars!

Back