• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bees

JSKaiser

Banned
Coolest thing. After having to take a detour due to construction, about three blocks from my house is a honey bee farm. They would pollinate peppers right? Just wondering. They guy has some acres and told me I could put some plants out there. I was thinking of doing like some "crop rotation" and take a different set out each week to get a good sun bath and some friendly bees to rome in and out of them. Or should I just plant some out there by the bee boxes?

yes and yes....and if you can or want to...ask the guy about keeping a hive at your house...wish I could find one close to me...

Sounds like a lot of work moving plants around. Googling "How far away will bees fly from their hive to find pollen?" you get:

----------
The previous answers are pretty good at three miles. However, in desert areas and other barren strips, monitored foraging bees were observed as far as 13.7 kilometers (Guesstimate about about 8 and half miles)from the hive. Generally, the pollen collectors forage much closer to the hive than the nectar collectors. Some bees, of course forage for both.

They like to stay at less than 2 and half miles for greater efficiency. They will pass over closer crops to get a variety of pollen and nectar to vary the food being stored.

Beekeepers say, "Move a hive less than 6" or more than 6 miles." If you move the hive more than 6' they probably won't find it on their return. If you move it less than 6 miles they will return to their old site and find the hive gone. Either way the hive is in grave danger of collapse.

Pollen range is about 2 and a half miles. They will expand the range if needed. The nectar range is considerably further. They can ingest the honey they are carrying much easier than the pollen. At great distances this is sometimes needed to make it back to the hive.
Source(s):
Indiana Beekeeper. "The Hive and the Honey Bee" by Dadant.
---------------------

If you’re only a few blocks away you should be fine just putting them outside. Although having some chile's guarded by several hives of bees sounds really cool.

Awesome. Ill have to see if he will let me start up a box at my place. He has about 8 rows of 15 boxes. I saw em out in the field and had to stop and talk to him. I have been getting decent set on all of my annums, the chinense I have seem to be a little more sensitive, and the others are a little in between. I was wondering if it would be a good way to create a cross. Put a Yellow 7 out there with something cool, or a Bhut/Peter Pepper Cross? I dont remember where its at, but isnt it only certain families will cross? Any ideas?

I just had a swarm of honeybees hanging around next door. They didn't touch my peppers. I don't think it's their favorite type of pollen.

I've got a couple of native bee hives in my veggie patch. They're stingless which is a bonus, not very big honey producers compared to apis bees.

wonder if i can find stingless bees in my country.

already got honeybees flying around my plants. which is a good thing. =D

only got the one tomato plant with flowers. lol.

peppers are still just starting to bud or too small to have any.

Back