• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Before I start to grow these...?

Ok, so this is my first time growing peppers... Actually its my first time growing anything really, except for a marigold when I was like 8 years old. SO anyway, I just have a few questions before I start this crazy experiment.

I picked up a tray with those soil plugs along with a packet of Serrano seeds and Yellow Habanero seeds. I haven't started them yet, and yea, I know, the season is well under way by now. My biggest concern with starting them now is that I live in Rhode Island and the temperature is still in the high 40's at night to high 60's during the day. I read that the peppers (being native to warm climates) need a decent amount of heat to be able to germinate. I don't want to start them too early while its cold and just waste seeds. I also don't really have any way that I can light them indoors because I can't afford any lights right now (I'm a poor college student). So If I wait a few more weeks, will I be ok with having enough time to produce some pods? I mean, even if I start them in late April, that would give me about 4 or 5 months of good growing time, I think. Up until about September.

And another question that I have is about my growing medium after they germinate. I will let them grow in their little soil plugs until they are a decent size, but after that I plan on transferring them to buckets. Probably 5 gallon buckets. What kind of soil should I use? My girlfriend has a compost pile in her back yard, should I use that?

I'm really just a big noob at this, so forgive me for so many questions lol

basic rule of thumb...look at your last frost date, then back up 6-8 weeks before that for starting seeds...6 weeks for tomatos and annuums and 8 weeks for chinense

Rhode Island last frost date...

Block Island Last Frost -------------> 4/20
Kingston Last Frost -----------------> 5/23

so you want to start seeds 8 weeks before those dates....best thing is to look up your specific last frost date and go from there...

Start them now and put them near the sunniest window. I would recommend picking up a potting mix. I haven't grown in pure compost, but I imagine it would be too water retentive. I am not saying it cannot be done, but for your first time growing you should do everything to increase your chances of success.

Start them now. The room heat will be enough especially if you can place them closer to the heat register or source. They don't need light until they sprout. If you don't have a shop light or other source of light you will just have to set them in front of your sunniest windows, turn them daily to be sure they all get as much light as possible. It's not ideal but you can do it that way.

Definately get them started now. Like mentioned, put them in a sunny window if you dont have a light you can put them under. Dont use a regular light bulb if you are going to put them under lights, CFL's and shop lights seem to be the norm around here. If you do decide to use regular bulbs, be careful as they throw off a ton of heat and can burn your seedings.

Back