• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Beginner with big dreams

Hi there,

I'm a newcomer to the scene from Belgium, we're not a country where eating spicy let alone growing your own peppers is "hot" (pun intended).
Supermarkets in Belgium rarely sell anything but the classic (genetically modified) Cayenne, I've only found some Bird's Eye twice and to my surprise once found a temporary supply of Red Habanero's.

I got bit by the pepper virus about two years ago and it's only a good year ago that I came to the conclusion that I should start growing my own peppers.
So last year I ended up growing a couple of Red Cayenne plants, they were grown from seed and started somewhere around may wich was quite late but still early enough for them to give me a good harvest come the end of summer.

Growing and taking care of these plants, and most of all consuming the fruits has been wonderful and has given me a lot to think about in terms of my future, for a while now I've been thinking about what I want to do later on and I might actually try and take this pepper thing a lot further and start doing something commercial around them, it would certainly be a first in Belgium, but as our climate is quite similar to the UK I believe it might be possible.

Anyway, big dreams and such, but I'm still a realist and would first like to try growing a variety of peppers for a couple of years and see how things go, learning as I go along.

As great classic movies taught us, after a long and boring intro must come a great and rewarding experience, here's to hoping my glog is worth anything to someone out there!

These are the varieties I'm growing this year:
  • Jalapeno
  • Golden Cayenne
  • Fish Pepper
  • Chilaca
  • Lemon Drop
  • White Habanero
  • Aussie Black
  • Cheyenne
  • Madame Jeanette
  • Bolivian Rainbow
  • Big Jim
  • Peter Pepper
  • Rain Forest
  • Aci Kil Menderes
  • Trinidad Scorpion
All seeds have been sown the 26th of february and after sprouting have been placed under a growing light, regular TL mind you, with some heating support under their feet (the setup is on a cold attic).

This is what things looked like feb 26th ...

20120227205619.jpg

First sprouts were seen on the 1st of march, they were Peter Pepper wich I found rather ironic. Others quickly followed ... next pictures were taken march 8th.

20120307214721.jpg

20120308201345.jpg

Fast forward exactly one month ...

20120409185750.jpg

Fast forward to just two days ago ...

20120421211534.jpg

If you're good at counting you might have guessed I've got around 60 plants going, give or take four of each of the 15 varieties. Yesterday I've potted up one plant of each variety to closely monitor troughout the season, the rest of them is going to be planted around where I can find some room and gifted to family.

This is what all plants looked like before they were potted up:

Chilaca:
img20120430124924.jpg

Jalapeno:
img20120430124212.jpg

Cayenne Golden:
img20120430123619.jpg

Habanero White:
img20120430124653.jpg

Cheyenne:
img20120430124010.jpg

Big Jim:
img20120430124319.jpg

Madame Jeanette:
img20120430124550.jpg

Fish Pepper:
img20120430124441.jpg

Bolivian Rainbow:
img20120430125244.jpg

Peter Pepper:
img20120430123414.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion:
img20120430124818.jpg

Aussie Black:
img20120430125103.jpg

Aci Kil Menderes:
img20120430123257.jpg

Rain Forest:
img20120430123224.jpg

Lemon Drop:
img20120430123841.jpg

Plants are all looking quite good, we've got some bad weather coming the next week and the plants I've potted up are outside now under a sheet of plastic so I hope they won't suffer too much, nights will be going as low as 5°C and we won't be getting a lot of sun, hopefully things will be better soon!

Will follow up with more pictures.

they look AWESOME!!

but if you want to take it to the commercial level, you must take 4-5 kind of peppers and then grow many of them for few diffrent products such, sauces, powder, pickless, jams and the pod themselvs, so you need big quntity, 1 plant isnt enought!

good luck!

they look AWESOME!!

but if you want to take it to the commercial level, you must take 4-5 kind of peppers and then grow many of them for few diffrent products such, sauces, powder, pickless, jams and the pod themselvs, so you need big quntity, 1 plant isnt enought!

good luck!

I'm quite aware of that, but as I said, I'm just messing around right now and even though doing something commercial around peppers would be a dream come true it's not something I'll be doing this year and probably not even the next! Just want to learn as much as I can about growing now and try different varieties.

Do you have a garden to plant anything in? i notice you do not have any red Habanero's on your list or orange Hab`s.
The Hab`s are easy to grow & are pretty much your "bread & butter" peppers.

Most of my super hots will be staying in pots, but everything else like choc habs, orange & red habs are going in the ground.

Good luck with your growing, im from the UK originally so i know how cold it can get, its not looking very good for next month also.

Mezo.

They look great ! Never give up ! Stick to what grows best and the simplest to grow in your climate! Trends in chili peppers change everyday ! :welcome: from N.Carolina !

ahhh, another victim of "heatus musthavemoreofititus"... :dance:
Your grow is really lookin good, never woulda guessed you were new to the game! Got a LOT of varieties goin- and there's lots of help on call here, :welcome: to the forum from the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.

What would you guys say is the minimum temperature for peppers to be outside without stunning their growth?
I've got quite some outside right now but nights are going to drop to around 40 degrees later this week with day temperatures in the 50's.
I did put them in a makeshift greenhouse for the time being to protect them from heavy rain and cold wind, but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough, suggestions?

Picture related, it's the current solution I'm working with, a bit annoying but at least it serves as some kind of protection ...
img201205012057201.jpg

I'm very happy today to see my plants getting a solid 80 degrees thanks to some sunshine heating things up, might have to take them inside for the next two days though as we are expecting night temps as low as 40 and daytemps barely reaching 50 degrees!

Yeah, let me tell you from experience that the young plants are not fond of temperatures below 50. I got anxious earlier in the season and thought I would go ahead and harden my plants. I left them out overnight when it got as low as 43 outside. The combination of cold and wind put them into shock. They lost most of their leaves and one was bent at nearly a 90 degree angle. They did recover, but I lost a good 2 weeks worth of growth because of it.

On a brighter note, your plants look great. Good luck with the rest of your grow.

Finally a good day today, looks as if some of my plants are growing by the hour now, unfortunatly it's back to horrible Belgian weather again after tomorrow.

Anyway, I've noticed some of my plants are showing some yellowing in their new foliage, one jalapeno plant is actually showing some brown discoloring on the edges of a young leaf, any idea what would be causing this? Could it be due to the fact that it hasn't been very warm for them, or because light has been scarce lately? I've read that overwatering or lack of certain nutes could be the reason why this happens but soil isn't anywhere near waterlogged and I've stopped giving them my liquid tomato food now for a while because I was under the impression they were getting too much, some plants got burnmarks on their lower leaves back then, I didn't feed for 2 weeks now.

Some pictures that show what I'm talking about:

img20120510131702.jpg

You can clearly see the discoloring in newly forming foliage ...
img20120510125515.jpg

Don't worry about the yellowing in new growth. All new growth will have a yellowish tint. If it stays yellow after it has grown out, then there's a problem. As for the browning on the tips of the leaves, that is most likely fertilizer burn. Dial the strength of the fertilizers back a bit and see how they do.

Hmmm, I can't help but believe that this is something new, when they were younger didn't didn't seem to have this yellowish thing going on in new foliage, also it seems to be a lot les obvious in the plants that are still indoors in smaller pots (P9)! Could they turn yellow because of a lack of good light?

Here we go again, another chance of light frost this night, halfway may this is getting a bit ridiculous and I could seriously use some decent spring conditions now, plants look like they are ready to explode once the weather allows them too!

Predicted low for tonight is 35 degrees by god, would I take the risk and leave them outside or should I take them in an waste my evening after work today hauling pots?

+1 to Comp...
Might be staying a little too damp...I would cut back on the watering just a little and maybe add some more air circulation to speed the soils dry time. They don't look bad at all though, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. Your evening will not be wasted moving your plants in on a night that is right on the frost bubble...it'll be time well spent.
Welcome aboard! Your plants look amazing, and I really like how you didn't jump on the everything superhot first year bandwagon! Great variety!

Its not wasted, its an investment into your future crop :)

of course its 85 here today, sunny, with a cool breeze, and 12,000,000% humidity (just kidding, but it is always high here in the tropics).

By the way your english is fantastic.

Back