• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Beginner with big dreams

Hi there,

I'm a newcomer to the scene from Belgium, we're not a country where eating spicy let alone growing your own peppers is "hot" (pun intended).
Supermarkets in Belgium rarely sell anything but the classic (genetically modified) Cayenne, I've only found some Bird's Eye twice and to my surprise once found a temporary supply of Red Habanero's.

I got bit by the pepper virus about two years ago and it's only a good year ago that I came to the conclusion that I should start growing my own peppers.
So last year I ended up growing a couple of Red Cayenne plants, they were grown from seed and started somewhere around may wich was quite late but still early enough for them to give me a good harvest come the end of summer.

Growing and taking care of these plants, and most of all consuming the fruits has been wonderful and has given me a lot to think about in terms of my future, for a while now I've been thinking about what I want to do later on and I might actually try and take this pepper thing a lot further and start doing something commercial around them, it would certainly be a first in Belgium, but as our climate is quite similar to the UK I believe it might be possible.

Anyway, big dreams and such, but I'm still a realist and would first like to try growing a variety of peppers for a couple of years and see how things go, learning as I go along.

As great classic movies taught us, after a long and boring intro must come a great and rewarding experience, here's to hoping my glog is worth anything to someone out there!

These are the varieties I'm growing this year:
  • Jalapeno
  • Golden Cayenne
  • Fish Pepper
  • Chilaca
  • Lemon Drop
  • White Habanero
  • Aussie Black
  • Cheyenne
  • Madame Jeanette
  • Bolivian Rainbow
  • Big Jim
  • Peter Pepper
  • Rain Forest
  • Aci Kil Menderes
  • Trinidad Scorpion
All seeds have been sown the 26th of february and after sprouting have been placed under a growing light, regular TL mind you, with some heating support under their feet (the setup is on a cold attic).

This is what things looked like feb 26th ...

20120227205619.jpg

First sprouts were seen on the 1st of march, they were Peter Pepper wich I found rather ironic. Others quickly followed ... next pictures were taken march 8th.

20120307214721.jpg

20120308201345.jpg

Fast forward exactly one month ...

20120409185750.jpg

Fast forward to just two days ago ...

20120421211534.jpg

If you're good at counting you might have guessed I've got around 60 plants going, give or take four of each of the 15 varieties. Yesterday I've potted up one plant of each variety to closely monitor troughout the season, the rest of them is going to be planted around where I can find some room and gifted to family.

This is what all plants looked like before they were potted up:

Chilaca:
img20120430124924.jpg

Jalapeno:
img20120430124212.jpg

Cayenne Golden:
img20120430123619.jpg

Habanero White:
img20120430124653.jpg

Cheyenne:
img20120430124010.jpg

Big Jim:
img20120430124319.jpg

Madame Jeanette:
img20120430124550.jpg

Fish Pepper:
img20120430124441.jpg

Bolivian Rainbow:
img20120430125244.jpg

Peter Pepper:
img20120430123414.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion:
img20120430124818.jpg

Aussie Black:
img20120430125103.jpg

Aci Kil Menderes:
img20120430123257.jpg

Rain Forest:
img20120430123224.jpg

Lemon Drop:
img20120430123841.jpg

Plants are all looking quite good, we've got some bad weather coming the next week and the plants I've potted up are outside now under a sheet of plastic so I hope they won't suffer too much, nights will be going as low as 5°C and we won't be getting a lot of sun, hopefully things will be better soon!

Will follow up with more pictures.

I'll post some pictures again this week, I've been quite busy.
The good news is the first few peppers are finally starting to ripen!
I have also allready tasted some green ones including Trinidad Scorpion wich wasn't as bad as I expected, but that's probably because it was very unripe.
A real surprise was the green Peter Pepper wich set me on fire!!

Cya soon!

Allright this is great, I harvested my first semi-ripe peppers yesterday, surprisingly 2 of them are chinense allready.

img20120808182412.jpg

I ate one golden cayenne and one white habanero.
The white habanero got me good, the heath builds so slow, I was tripping out 1 and a half minutes into it. The flavor is wonderful though, nothing like anything I've ever eaten before.
Golden cayenne was more fruity, very clean flavor though, usually the fruity peppers tend to have a bit of an earthy taste in them, not this one.
I'm gonna try the (huuuuge) madame jeanette tonight, can't wait to finally taste it!

Hey J, still catching up- looking good-love that first big year enthusiasm-I could relate to every comment, and I couldn't count the amount of time spent just looking at them grow, as if I could mentally push them harder :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: .I somehow end up with some M Jeanettes(they are MJ's or Trinidad Treasures-sweet,fruity and nice high medium heat , a big producer as well-they would be in my glog as "Not Chaguanas").
Aphids are ....a long string of expletives and foul curses, good to see you managing them naturally ...+1!
And that Chilaca well, it is emberassing your peter pepper! :dance: Your grandfather is smiling down on your efforts for sure.
Have a good one, and keep it up
Dave

So I tried the madame jeanette last night, I just popped it in and chewed it down, it was a lot hotter than anything I anticipated, atleast 5 times hotter than the white habanero.
It was quite the shock to me as it was by far the hottest thing I had ever eaten, I didn't throw up but I could feel my stomach being on the verge of returning my last meal.
The burn was extremely intense in the top of my throat, I'm not even sure if I can repeat this with even hotter varieties, I got a real wakeup call to be fair.

When I smell another madame jeanette right now it actually makes me feel sick, like my body is associating that smell with the horrific 15 minutes it had to go trough.
My stomach still feels quite uncomfortable now and I have to work all day, I'm expecting to take a half hour break somewhere this afternoon to take a possibly nuclear dump.

All I can say is last nights experience has really given me a healthy kind of respect towards the hotter varieties, they are not to be messed with for sure.

I tip my hat off to all the people on here who have proven to eat superhots and keep their cool while doing so ... :fireball:

Another small harvest, it looks like pretty soon the harvests are going to become quite a bit bigger, I'm not even sure what I'll do with all these peppers I've got coming! But that's a good thing right ...

goodnessu.jpg

I enjoyed 3 white habanero's mixed in some mayonaise to go with a pack of french fries (vive la belgique for fries).
The Aci Kil Menderes found their way into last nights spaghetti ...
And the Rain Forest were eaten fresh, very interesting flavor, a bit like coriander leaf, quite fresh and not too hot, a nice kick to it.

When I've got more fresh Chinense pods I'm gonna try and build up my tolerance a bit more by eating smaller pieces, I don't want to go trough the same experience from last week again where I thought my face was going to melt :----)

Back