• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

tutorial Beginner's guide to AACT/Compost Tea

I have a 2 liter plastic pump sprayer and it works fine for me. Only cost 15 dollars, very sturdy, and I have only needed 1L of solution to cover all my plants.

41rUmn9ufcL._SY300_.jpg

31v0SMATv0L._SY300_.jpg

img60920307.jpg

That flexible feed tube shit is neat. I wonder if it really works, having different liquids at different temperatures.

^Confused me as well :P

A mild warning to people using aquarium pumps

I initially used the ol' eyeball to measure if I was mixing/aerating enough with my rink-a-dink aquarium pumps will brewing teas.

Looks great says eye.

Wilson has a better rule of thumb I was recently reminded of, 0.05-0.08CFM per gallon. So I put my math hat on and with in only a few hours I had it down. I have just enough current capacity to brew 2-2.5 gallons. So my eye isn't so bad, I just wasen't using both pumps in the same mini-rezo hehehe.

Fluval Q1 (rated for 170-300L aquarium)
0.1 - 0.16 CFM (I lean towards 0.1, this things a piece of crap)

Tetra Whisper 40 (rated for 75-150L aquarium)
0.05 CFM

Neither will work for a 5 gallon bucket, what I think is a common brew size. For the price of those two whoopie cushion air pumps I could have grabbed this instead.

Did a topic search and it was already mentioned here, but once more for good measure? :D

miguelovic said:
^Confused me as well :P

A mild warning to people using aquarium pumps

I initially used the ol' eyeball to measure if I was mixing/aerating enough with my rink-a-dink aquarium pumps will brewing teas.

Looks great says eye.

Wilson has a better rule of thumb I was recently reminded of, 0.05-0.08CFM per gallon. So I put my math hat on and with in only a few hours I had it down. I have just enough current capacity to brew 2-2.5 gallons. So my eye isn't so bad, I just wasen't using both pumps in the same mini-rezo hehehe.

Fluval Q1 (rated for 170-300L aquarium)
0.1 - 0.16 CFM (I lean towards 0.1, this things a piece of crap)

Tetra Whisper 40 (rated for 75-150L aquarium)
0.05 CFM

Neither will work for a 5 gallon bucket, what I think is a common brew size. For the price of those two whoopie cushion air pumps I could have grabbed this instead.

Did a topic search and it was already mentioned here, but once more for good measure? :D
Mine seems to do fine with these two dual outlet pumps that I combined into a single air stone for each pump.

Wierd, I get two different specs, one from Ebay and another from Amazon.

Ebay - 0.04CFM

Amazon - 0.09 CFM

I do it myself with the Fluval (two outlets to one stone) and I'm no airflowologist but I've a suspicion it reduces flow. A terrible analogy would be a ducting configuration.

Much easier :D or even just to let one run wild without a stone in the bag. Sense I always don't make, like why I haven't gone to get more stones.

I'd think you'd get better performance not using any splitters.

The Aqua Culture pump you are referring to is rated at 1200cc.  That's only 1.2 liter per minute.   From what I've read up til now 8 or 9 liter per minute would be optimum for five to ten gallon batches.

Of course that's just what I read today.   I'm all EARS....

filmost said:
Wouldn't it just be easier to use two air stones? That's what I'm doing. I position one right under or in the tea bag, and one at the very bottom.
That's what mine is, two airstones but two pumps. I tried an airstone per outlet and it did not produce the bubbles it does putting two into one and then into an airstone.

Proud Marine Dad said:
That's what mine is, two airstones but two pumps. I tried an airstone per outlet and it did not produce the bubbles it does putting two into one and then into an airstone.
How many gallons is your brew bucket?   Looks like a nice setup.

Streamer said:
How many gallons is your brew bucket?   Looks like a nice setup.
I use a five gallon bucket. The one in the photo is a 30 gallon water bucket I was aerating with some crushed vitamin C in the water to counteract the chloramine added to city water.

any point of doing this with no worm castings? 

I was going to try grass clippings, fish emulsion and compost. I have steer manure but I assume that is a no-no for this. 

Hi Guys,

In the process of setting my my AACT system for the upcoming spring in September.  Have a couple of questions I'm hoping a more experienced grower / AACT maker can answer (only my second season and first starting from seed).  

Question No.1 - I've purchased this 9500cc (450L/hr) air pump. Llink: http://thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=126 - is it powerful enough for a bucket brew if I use two air stones?

Question No.2 - I was planning on doing a few practice brews over the winter and tipping them over the newly built and filled raised beds.  Is this a good idea given that its 2-2.5 months from my likely plant out time?

My brew mix was going to comprise:

Home-made Worm Castings
Home-made compost
Handful of bagged compost
Molasses
Some semi-composted / semi-fresh lawn clippings
A dash of Seasol (seaweed concentrate) link: http://www.seasol.com.au/images/pdfs/msds/msds-seasol-seaweed-conc-jul12.pdf

Question No. 3 - Am i missing anything important?

Thanks in advance - Rainy.

Back