• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Beginners guide?

Is there any sort of beginners guide or FAQ or tips or anything like that around here about growing peppers. I am growing my first ones this year and want to know what I could have and should have done better. Also not that they are getting ready are there any guides to know when they are ripe and should be picked?

Thanks.

my advice is more for new growers dont over love them I almost killed one earlier this year
Water when they need it, not all the time, only in the morning so they can dry by the evening
Dont over fert read the instructions sun is your friend but its very hot this summer so some shade in the middle of the day might help
Oh yeah if they are in pots make sure the have good drainage
And plenty of room for the roots

Just noticed where you are I dont know how your weather is

I has been exceptionally hot this year for us but I am sure nowhere near what you have had. I do have them in 5 gallon buckets but at the bottom I have 4-6" of rocks and about 8-12 1/2" holes drilled around the bottoms.

I think I had been over watering because I did start to notice some mushrooms growing in the buckets. Is there anyway to know when and how much you should water?

Also, about fertilizer. I used miracle grow potting soil that says it has enough for 6 months, which I do really doubt. How long do you think that will last and once it is out what should I use?

water them till the soil is moist but not wet around the the plant base in the morning so they can dry in the evening to prevent fungus I have also read that a half a cup of three percent hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water will help

welcome to the forum.

please try to just give them:

light
heat
soil
air

and listen to them

they will tell you what else they want more of

be patient :dance:

The rocks in the bottom aren't necessary and probably are counter productive. Miracle Grow is way too hot for peppers imo. It tends to burn pepper plants, especially young ones. Don't give them any food for a long time (several months at least) if they're in Miracle Grow because they already have too much. The Miracle Grow probably already has enough food for the whole season, although they may need some calcium and magnesium because MG doesn't seem to have much, and peppers use a lot of it. You can buy something like CalMag+ or make your own calcium/magnesium for a lot cheaper.

I would work on finding a different potting mix for next year. Something like Pro Mix BX, Sunshine, Fox Farms, etc. or make your own, there's a stickied thread at the top with a bunch of mixes and information on making potting mix. They'll do a lot better in one of those than in MG. Fish emulsion, composted manures, bat guano, worm tea, Espoma Garden Tone or Tomato Tone, Dr. Earth are all good fertilizers. Hydro nutrients also work well with potting mix, like Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Gro. I also think giving them seaweed improves the health of the plants. I use Liquid Karma which consists of seaweed, humic acid, sugar, and chelated micronutrients, but you could also make something similar on your own which would most likely be cheaper.

As far as knowing when they're ripe, that's easy, just wait until they reach their final color, that's when they're ripe. To see if they need water just lift up the pot and feel the weight. You'll quickly get used to how much the pots weigh when saturated with water and when dry and you'll know very quickly how much water they're holding and when they need water.

water them till the soil is moist but not wet around the the plant base in the morning so they can dry in the evening to prevent fungus I have also read that a half a cup of three percent hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water will help

Hydrogen peroxide will also kill the beneficial bacteria and mycorrhizal fungi though. Plants with roots that are colonized by mycorrhizal fungi are more resistant to soil-born pathogens, more drought resistant, and more efficient at taking up nutrients and water. So if you wipe out everything in the soil you could be leaving it open to colonization by the bad stuff and could have less healthy plants. IMO using hydrogen peroxide on a healthy plant is like giving someone who isn't sick antibiotics.

Hydrogen peroxide will also kill the beneficial bacteria and mycorrhizal fungi though. Plants with roots that are colonized by mycorrhizal fungi are more resistant to soil-born pathogens, more drought resistant, and more efficient at taking up nutrients and water. So if you wipe out everything in the soil you could be leaving it open to colonization by the bad stuff and could have less healthy plants. IMO using hydrogen peroxide on a healthy plant is like giving someone who isn't sick antibiotics.

I agree with you but it sounds like he might have more bad than good right now, and arent the affects of h2o2 temp? Or am I wrong here?

bump for some good advice.
I am also a new grower.. And am pretty sure i have been over watering... i think i got that worked out but am pretty sure i got more issues.
I'll be posting a topic as well once i can get some pics (hopefully tomorrow)

You can weigh the pots when you know there's no water (when first potting up). When watering let the pot stand in water for a couple of minutes. Then you can just weigh the pot and when it's getting near it's original weight bottom water again.

Good luck!

The seeds germinate best at around 28c. mature plants too prefer this temp.
Use a well drained and aerated growing medium/soil.
Make sure the little sprouts get enough light once fully open.
Start fertilizing just a little bit once the plants have true sets of leaves.
As they get bigger, get closer and closer to the recommended fertilizer dosage.
Water only when the plant starts showing signs of dehydration. never over-water.

Good luck.

thanks again.
Weighing the pots seems fool proof.. only now id have to wait until they show signs of dehydration. im always scared that all the flowers and any pods i have would fall right off if it gets dehydrated. lol

You can weigh the pots when you know there's no water (when first potting up). When watering let the pot stand in water for a couple of minutes. Then you can just weigh the pot and when it's getting near it's original weight bottom water again.

Good luck!

That is a fantastic idea...I should have done that when I first potted mine in 5 gallon buckets....dangit

the leaves will "wilt" and not be perky when it needs water.i thought the same thing about the flowers till i actually waited to see it wilt and then watered it and got a nice flush of growth out of it! i just wait till i come home from work and see the leaves not looking perky when in direct sun and then i give them a good drenching. and fert wise i use Foliage Pro 9-3-6 and was just given some "general Hydroponics Flora Nova its 4-8-7" both have all micro nutriensts too, and testing it out on a few flowering peppers to see if it makes difference. here in SD its been 75F so i can get about 7-10 days between watering.

Eric

Ok thanks. Most are actually looking a little wilty today as are the tomatoes. I will wait until it gets closer to dark and isn't so hot to water them though. I have always heard you should water either early in the morning or late in the evening because doing it during the heat of the day is bad. Is that actually true?

i herd the same. But thought it was more of an evaporation thing when its hot.
unless they like a good drink before they go to sleep lol.

That is a fantastic idea...I should have done that when I first potted mine in 5 gallon buckets....dangit
I only use the weighing method when they're seedlings. Once they get larger I go with the wait til they wilt method. I was afraid that the seedlings, being in such small pots could dry up very quickly while as was at work. Here in Thailand its scorching hot every day.

Back