• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Beginners luck ran out

I had this bad split in my hab plant that became heinous in high winds today. No one to blame but myself since the split was started by yours truly in a drunken stupor. but its gone from minor to the reckoning. Is it worth trying to save this stem? or should i just lop it off now? Ive got the stems lashed together. but at this point, after healing for the most part before reinjury, it looks like theres just too much scar tissue. Warning plant gore; right frame stem:
2zofa53.jpg

I'm so mad at myself I could spit.

Edit/ps: I plan to try to keep this plant podding overwinter as many years as possible, so a loss in yield this season is no big deal if its better for the plant in the long run. I may just cut it off now. Looks like its hanging on by a thread and would be a chronic problem. I'm so hurt lol

It is kinda hard to see it in your picture. Sometimes a split stem will stay alive and heal itself as two seperate branches.. If it is fresh enough, you can just tape it together and support the branches. It will fuse back together. I get Rocotos that split main stems and branches because of the peppers weight. I prop them up, duct tape them, supported the branches, and all is good. Sorry I do not have a close up.

Attachments

• test12 004vv.jpg
    test12 004vv.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 59
Split circled in red. It was just the vertical part of the 90 degree L wound, and then the wind opened that back up plus a new perpendicular rip.
33l105e.jpg

Wow great idea! You just made my night a whole lot less depressing man. Any material around here I can use for reference?

Get rooting hormone at a nursery or home depot or anywhere cut a branch off (green branch not woody) dip in rooting hormone stick in the soil with shade and keep the humidity high and it should root.

I have heard clone-x works good not sure I only root tomatoes and I don't use hormones. What you can also try is putting the cutting in a cup of water and misting it. I have seen that work on here just search cloning I'm sure something will pop up

I saw it for I think the same price at star nursery the other day and if you are going to root do it asap so if that piece is going to die you do it before that happens

Okay, well if I should do it quick, were you mentioning your own technique for cloning without hormone? I can a least give it a shot.

Do you think I'll have any chance of making a clone using just water and misting? And should it get any supllements if so?

I don't really want to drop $5-10 on hormones to try and clone one branch haha.

Here goes nothing lol.
27zp5e.jpg

So no ferts or anything right? Keep it humid I hear. But no, low, or high light? Low or high temps?

I haven't tried it yet but without a rooting hormone I have heard of dipping the end in honey if you are putting it into soil. Into water I am not sure if that would have any effect.

Back