• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Bell Peppers

We have some Bell peppers growing and doing quite well I might add. We got the seeds from a Bell bought at the grocery store. The only reason was that we needed to grow Bells and the pepper looked very good in quality and was the same in taste. Anyway My friend grew a plant last year and got only one bell from it. These plants have flowers all over the place and look VERY good and hopefully will get more than on off of each plant. I do however have a question about these particular plants. Is it possible that these could be higher yielding plants than an average run of the mill Bell Pepper plant since the grower is (farming?) needing to distribute large quantities?

I think many store bought bell varieties are higher producing hybrid types, and/or are good greenhouse producers. At least around here, they are grown in greenhouses so are usually varieties bred for this type of environment.
Check out places like www.stokeseeds.com for a good selection of hybrid and some open pollinated bells.
Also if you did take seeds from a hybrid, then your plants might not be the same as the parent pepper

Dang wish I had my laptop with me. I was just at my girlfriends house, where my other garden is, spraying compost tea. Anyway I will get pics up by this weekend but just for some info the plants are currently a very healthy looking foot and a half tall (about), and each plant has at least 5 flower buds of varying sizes. Right now 2 of them each have a flower just starting to bloom now and the other plants not to far behind.

POTAWIE said:
Also if you did take seeds from a hybrid, then your plants might not be the same as the parent pepper

I have been thinking about this. As of now these plants look like the will be high yielding. If every flower/bud I see becomes a full healthy pepper then there is potential for about 5 or more per plant assuming there is enough time. So lets say that these do, or would have given enough time, is there a way I can ensure high yielding plants next season? Like maybe pollinating one of them with another?

You may not get the same exact thing you found in the store not because of cross polination, but simply because the farmer might be using an F1 hybrid, and the seeds will be F2 with much less vigor.

Well I suppose its just a matter of seeing what happens then huh? I guess since we got more bell plants this year, if we get at least one from each that puts us 4 or 5 more ahead than last year. But to have 5 plants that produce even 2 each would be extra awesome.

Why not just buy a known Open pollinated variety and save seeds from that? I believe that Emerald giant is an OP variety. I've already picked 2 bells from mine and it still has several more still growing, not to mention the ones that it should produce through out the rest of the season.

Non hybrid. Anytime you want to save seeds, you should make sure your plant is not a hybrid. You also need to isolate the flowers to ensure no cross pollination (already covered in another thread)if you want pure seed.

joeknowsjolokia said:
What does that mean? There are no pics yet.

im growing bell pepper and havent seen any photos on here of bell peppers in different stages, would like to see phots of other peoples home grown bells
sorry for confusion.

Its no problem at all. I did forget to grab my camera but I will stop by the house and get it on my way tot he ladies place or ill use one of theirs or my cell. Either way I will be sure to get some pics up her for you and anyone else who may be interested in seeing them.

Here are the pretty ladies all lined up in a row.
IMG_0081.jpg

Here just one of the others I took a pic of.
IMG_0082.jpg

Here is one that has three flowers on it all at the same stage. Would be interesting if all three fruit also.
IMG_0084.jpg

Here is what the top of it looks like.
IMG_0083.jpg

Another shot of the top of it to show all the buds.
IMG_0087.jpg

The plant that has the three flowers right now, I counted 13 other buds on that plant. The picture directly above is showing half of the top of that plant.

Saw this little guy on the plant and thought he looked kinda cool. Not sure what he is or if hes good or bad but I later flicked him off the leaf. I assure you no insects were injured during the photographing of these plants.
IMG_0085.jpg

crazy8 said:
Saw this little guy on the plant and thought he looked kinda cool. Not sure what he is or if hes good or bad...
IMG_0085.jpg

Your plants look like they are coming along nicely.
I have seen these guys hanging around my plants as well. Not sure if they are good or bad either. Hopefully, someone knows what they are.

Since nobody has answered you about your insect yet, I figured I'd tell you what it is.

It is a leafhopper. Not really a big threat to your peppers, unless of course you had hundreds of them. They do feed on plants, and can transmit diseases (just like aphids can) they really are not too big of a deal.

Back