• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Berbere chicken

I don't know if anyone here has done or eaten Berbere chicken but I do recommend it. I found some Berbere spice by Penzey's and googled recipes for Berbere chicken. It's an Ethiopian staple I found out. Anyway, it's unbelievably simple! Cut up a chicken and sprinkle with curry powder. Let it sit for half an hour and heat some olive oil. Brown chicken and add the Berbere seasoning. I added 3 tablespoons since the recipe said 2 teaspoons. Then, add a can of stewed tomatoes and cook covered. Add water for consistency and cook about an hour on medium in a covered pan. Serve over rice.

One of my new favorite spicy dishes - super simple.

The Berbere seasoning has a multitude of spices in it - that's what makes it easy.

Hi PJ -

It's from Penzey's - someone gave it to me. I'm going to have find out if I can get it locally. It is definitely awesome! You can view it on their website.

BR

Bob

Bob_B said:
I don't know if anyone here has done or eaten Berbere chicken but I do recommend it. I found some Berbere spice by Penzey's and googled recipes for Berbere chicken. It's an Ethiopian staple I found out. Anyway, it's unbelievably simple! Cut up a chicken and sprinkle with curry powder. Let it sit for half an hour and heat some olive oil. Brown chicken and add the Berbere seasoning. I added 3 tablespoons since the recipe said 2 teaspoons. Then, add a can of stewed tomatoes and cook covered. Add water for consistency and cook about an hour on medium in a covered pan. Serve over rice.
One of my new favorite spicy dishes - super simple.
The Berbere seasoning has a multitude of spices in it - that's what makes it easy.
No pictures? It didn't happen!

P I C T U R E S !

Ok - I knew this would happen.

I'm reading from the label - cayenne, garlic, ginger, fenugreek, cardamom, cumin, black pepper, allspice, turmeric, cloves, Ceylon cinnamon, and coriander.

I will post pictures next time I cook.

BR - bob

Here's what it looks like.

Bere Bere-5940-2.jpg

Back