• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best cluster varieties?

Hey guys,

What are your favourite peppers that grow in clusters? Chinense and Annuum? I'd love to add a few good ones to my grow next season, but I'm undecided. 

Some of the upright cluster peppers have a really cool look to them.  I've been thinking about either Rooster Spur or Santaka for next season. The Rooster Spur are little guys though, which has me leaning toward the slightly bigger podded Santaka.

Cicek Biber is definitely on my list

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbiogentohum.com%2Furun-aci-CICek-yukari-bakan-cIn-bIber-1633.html&sandbox=1

http://www.fordsfieryfoodsandplants.com/cicek-biber?search=cicek

Hey, B3rnd! Been a while. I hope everything is fantastic!

I don't know toooooo much about clustering varieties of peppers, but aren't most clusters considered ornamentals? That's not to say that ornamentals don't have culinary value...but IME, the few I've tried seem to be a tough skin wrapped around an immense seed-ball with little to no flesh.

Clusters:
Throughout the past few years, I've spotted a variety growing and searched for it, but couldn't find...really....too much info on this particular pepper. Last year, I asked Justin W. about them and he said he DID have seeds for this, but could only get a couple pods to set....so he had no new seeds, but he had the originals that he received from a vendor.
"Wanna give it a whirl......?"
"Yes. Yes I do."

(Here's the conversation:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/63544-white-hot-peppers-2017/?p=1477658)

I started 2 seeds, got 2 plants, one went in the garden, the other went in a pot in full sun 8+ hours a day. Not too much from the garden plant (lots of shade, compared), but the Sun-Plant has sunburn on the calyces....ONLY THE CALYCES....EACH AND EVERY CALYX!!! It really works out in the for the color scheme.

Cluster BubbleGum: Seeds bequeathed to me by Justin W....which he received from Buckeye Pepper.
h3oGveW.jpg

I originally thought this variety ripened to red. This plant is a Caramel. If red IS the origin color, how lucky am I to get my favorite pod-color on an awesome looking plant that DOES drop a ton of blossoms, but those dropped blossoms are like dropping leaves: useless and well stocked with replacements. Lol.

dMpiVka.jpg

The first pod to come off went to a member here in an SFRB, so I know nothing about the insides or flavor profile. I isolated a couple pods, and of course, those pods are smaller than tiny....so zero seeds...at least in this one. (A night pic, too).

ywvKNni.jpg

I WILL have seeds for you, Justin. Just not ISO. But they should be close enough....with all the clusters, THAT plant is probably a father to more than just one plant out there. lol.

:woohoo:

Datil said:
Calabrese a mazzetti, Chi-Chien, Yukari Bakan, Thai Red Hot (all c.annuum).

+1 or Calabrese Mazzetti 

very prolific, great pickled or powdered
i thought they had quite a bit of seeds for fresh use, but that's just my opinion
excellent for bumping up some heat and adding color to other pickled items.

:cheers: 

Whoops, I completely forgot about this topic. I need to do something about my notifications.

Thanks for all the answers guys! 

I think there's a little difference in terminology. I really like multiple fruits per node, like what's usual in most Chinenses. But what I really meant were peppers that branch out into a cluster. I think the branches actually end in a cluster of flowers. I've never grown any clustering varieties, but that's what I've read about them.

For this year though, I decided to go with Rooster Spur. I really like the Calabrese Mazzeti also.

In this picture (Calabrese Mazzeti) you can really see the branching structure I meant. You see how the branch ends in a cluster of pods?  

51po0u2vPkL._SL1000_.jpg

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
Pimenta Moranga peach cross from Justin at whitehotpeppers 

https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/products/pimenta-moranga-peach-cross

That's a neat pepper GIP! A brief search turned up a similar variety, Jes's Moranga Clusters

631320-d6f4e38bd49040abb6d3b492fceba33e_1024x1024@2x.jpg

But as noted by OP:

b3rnd said:
I think there's a little difference in terminology. I really like multiple fruits per node, like what's usual in most Chinenses. But what I really meant were peppers that branch out into a cluster.
And the MORANGA PEPPER strain display the classic "multiple fruit per node" of C. Chinense not the "cluster grouping" in the last hand-held pic, see below for comparison.

pimenta-moranga-peach-cross-plant-4_800x.jpg

pimenta-moranga-peach-cross-6_2048x.jpg

I’m growing Rooster Spur next summer. Haven’t grown it in a long time. Don’t remember it being in clusters but maybe it was. My seed source was SSE. Another cluster pepper is KS white Thai.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
That's a neat pepper GIP! A brief search turned up a similar variety, Jes's Moranga Clusters

631320-d6f4e38bd49040abb6d3b492fceba33e_1024x1024@2x.jpg

But as noted by OP:

And the MORANGA PEPPER strain display the classic "multiple fruit per node" of C. Chinense not the "cluster grouping" in the last hand-held pic, see below for comparison.

pimenta-moranga-peach-cross-plant-4_800x.jpg

pimenta-moranga-peach-cross-6_2048x.jpg

Pretty sure it originally looked like this:
ChilesPimentaMoranga4-2019.jpg

"Pimenta Moranga-(Capsicum chinense)-The Pimenta Moranga Pepper is a beauty from the country of Brazil. The chiles are produced in amazing light purple clusters that ripen through orange than finally red. The Pimenta Moranga chiles are teardrop shaped with pointed ends and grow pointing up. As they ripen and gain water weight, the cluster of chiles fall more from their upright position. The flavor is very fruity, and the heat is at the lower habanero level. Great for sauces, salsa, pickling and stir fry. The Pimenta Moranga chile plants grow over 4 feet tall and are extremely productive."

pic and description from here:
https://www.superhotchiles.com/product/pimenta-moranga-pepper-seeds/  

Back