• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Best indoor climate?

Has anybody found a climate that seems to stimulate the best growth/production in their indoor grows?

I'm currently at 75f and 55% humidity, and was getting really quick growth before I had to start over when my cats ate my plants. My current grow is two habaneros and two large Thai hybrids.

I'm not asking what climate the peppers natively grow in, but rather what climate they grow the best in.

Some people might disagree with 75°F (24°C) but I think this is just fine, assuming the transpiration works fine. This brings up another point you didn't raise, the ventilation. With less air movement you're going to see quite a bit less of evaporation (at the same temperature and humidity) from the leaves and subsequent movement of water (bringing nutrients) from soil>roots>stem>leaves>air. I think you will need to consider all three of temperature, humidity and ventilation.

I do around 79°F (26°C) with a humidity often at 42-44%. It goes upwards to 60% right after watering and down to 35% when the plants are soon going to complain about dry soil. Ventilation is very important to me and I have a constant draft over the foliage to increase transpiration and decrease risk of edema and pathogen attack. I even let the ventilation run 24h/d even though my lights are only 18h/d, both for the sake of transpiration and to add a bit more carbon dioxide since growth occurs nighttime as well (and carbon from carbon dioxide obviously constitute almost all the mass of the (dry) growth).

I don't worry about my "low" humidity of 42-44% (at the foliage). In fact, I worry more about higher humidity. Why? Because transpiration is obstructed putting more pressure on high temperature, risk of overwatering and good ventilation. No, that's not the whole truth. What I worry about most is creating a good environment for pathogen colonization. Dryer air is going to make it more difficult for rot and fungi to get a hold. Unfortunately, it surely must impair beneficial microbes at the phytoplane as well (but likely not in the soil at least).

I'm sorry but I don't have perfect numbers. I do think it's just fine with lower temperatures than what people usually cite. In fact, I've had signs of issues when I had my ventilation reversed so the draft at the foliage level was warm, heating the foliage to 86°F (30°C). Leaf curling occurred.

I hope my two cents are of value! Oh, I run 4 foot by 4 foot tent (1.2m×1.2m) with 600-750W (depending on mood) LED lighting distributed over three panels with ventilation capable of moving 185m³/h fresh air over foliage and out at the top. So that's the context of my two cents.

Thanks for the input SwedishGhost.

I do have air circulation in the tent. Then top is open into the floor joists and a slot vent at the bottom, with 4 computer fans in the top corners blowing down at angles creating a circular vortex type air flow to distribute the heat from a ceramic heat emitter and added humidity from the warm mist humidifier. The ambient temperature only basement is normally around 64-69f with humidity under 40% and short spikes up to 72f when the furnace runs. It'll be much trickier to maintain in the summer when the humidity in our basement can hit 90% when the water table is high. Will likely have to invest in a large dehumidifier and more powerful exhaust fan.

I don't get real technical on my indoor grows..Over thinking it is always a disaster for me..My room gets humid though i don't monitor it I'd say it must be above 60% when the light is on after a watering..,Temps range from 65 to low 80's at the end of a light cycle..I'm set up in a unheated bedroom in our house..Only use the room in the winter and spring..

I've tried to do some research on the subject, and it seems none of the studies narrowed it down to anything more than 65-80f and 40-80% humidity. And then some research into plant stress management and leaf surface temperature and it gets way more complicated. All kinds of information on how to measure the variables but no answers on how to interpret the data or results from tests on peppers other than an article about ovary swelling in bell peppers and its relationship to LST and fruit surface temp.

I've read so many articles on LST, vapor pressure deficit, and soil temps, and my conclusion is that the ideal leaf surface temp would be between 1 and 2 degrees below the ambient temp, which indicates the plant is transpirating and up taking nutrients at the optimal rate. I'll be ordering a new infrared thermometer when I get paid since my old one crapped out, and will do some somewhat non-scientific tests just to see if my theory is even close. The tough part is there are so many variables that affect LST including the type of light your using.

I'll start a new thread after I get my irt and have some numbers to share.

Hafners said:
Has anybody found a climate that seems to stimulate the best growth/production in their indoor grows?

I'm currently at 75f and 55% humidity, and was getting really quick growth before I had to start over when my cats ate my plants. My current grow is two habaneros and two large Thai hybrids.

I'm not asking what climate the peppers natively grow in, but rather what climate they grow the best in.

From the temps and humidity you indicated in your post, I would say that those are fine. Actually you could grow the same peppers in higher heat and lower humidity, or lower heat hand higher humidity. The plants will find a way to live. You're good !

Thrive ??? That's another question. In my opinion the "thrive" might be more about keeping the cats away than worrying about the humidity !!

When you ask "what climate they grow the best in" .... the only answer is .... the 'native climate'.

Personally, I've been trying to duplicate the "native" climate of the Super Hot Peppers. That is, from what I have learned is 80 DegF and 80 percent humidity. I have achieved the 80-80 ( basically ), but I am still struggling with the nutrients (growth has been spectacular, but I'm not getting fruit) . I'm doing Hydro, so my experience may not be relevant  to your grow. Another story.

Aside from my experience, your concerns about Vapor Pressure Deficit and Soil Temperature and etc., are important to the welfare of your plant . How important ??  That depends on your level of interest. You could just plop a pepper in soil and keep it moist, give it heat and some humidity, and it will give you love. Serious love !!  Serious Hot Peppers !!!

Beyond this and your talking about deep science, or even magic ?  Soil biology, plant biology, chemistry, physics..... Lots and lots of information !!

I love this stuff, growing and all, but I'm not a scientist. Wish I was though. I have to take a different approach. I try something, and if it doesn't work, I try something different. Is this the "scientific approach" ? Maybe. I read about things I don't know, and sometimes I can fix the things that go wrong. Most of the time I struggle. 

In the end I find myself thinking what I would do if I were a plant.... If I can gorge on food, would I want to produce flower ? If I can't drink, do I want to transpire ? "Damn !!  I can't breath".... my roots are FAIL.

I'm not a successful gardener for sure... I talk to my plants but I don't think they like the chat.... "Grow G@d Damn you !!!"

There it is.  Good luck too you !!

Jeff

Back