• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum best jalapeno for size?

i found a bunch of jalapenos at the store the other day that were a good 5 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide, took em home, roasted em, peeled the skin and took out the cores and made chile rellenos with em. they turned out way better than your average numex green chile rellenos, with just the right amount of spice to make it a little more interesting. problem is i have never seen or been able to get jalapenos to grow that big. i had an awesome crop of jalapeno m, which is officially my favorite jalapeno for flavor, but the biggest they got was 3 inches long. good enough for poppers but not so great for rellenos. so i have to wonder if anybody knows if theres a super special variety of jalapeno bred for that kind of size or did those jalapenos from the store just have ferts pumped up the yin yang?

biker billy is so awsome. huge , thick walled, lots of heat. all around it's hard to beat. there are a few that are the same size but i don't know about any that are much bigger and if there are, they can't possibly compare in flavour.

it sucks here, we can't even get fresh jalaps here. we only get the imported pickled kind, which is good but if you want fresh, you won't find any.

habaneros are even once in a blue moon and the only folks that grow them are small growers that sell in farmers markets that charge an arm and a leg.

My two favorites of all the jalapenos I'm growing are the Jalapeno M and the Biker Billy. Both tend to produce nice sized jalapenos. The Jalapeno M, IMO, tastes a bit better--but it's not quite as hot (by just a little... it's still damn hot). That makes the Biker Billy, of course, the hotter of the two... but IMO not quite as good tasting as the Jalapeno M (but of course that's personal preference... you might think different).

The biggest jalapeno I've grown is the Mammoth Jalapeno, but I would recommend you pass this one. They seem to have a tendency to bust open completely as they ripen (that, and they're ugly... completely corking-free). I was so pissed off when I walked outside to see how my first ripening pepper on the plant was and saw it cracked open, ants having a field day walking in and out of the pepper, I pulled the whole plant out of the ground and put it to the curb. Never bothered to eat a pepper off of it. The plant was nothing but a disappointment, even leading up to that.

Five inches is freakin' long for a jalapeno though, I don't think I've ever seen one that long... sounds like bell pepper size.

I can't believe you all have talked me into trying to grow the Biker Billy's next year. I have seen so many great reviews of them ... I honestly told myself I would never grow Jalapenos because they are so easy to buy fresh. But you had to keep posting how great they were sheesh… Ok, Sorry about that I had to complain and pretend I was upset so that the Wife would think I really was trying to cut down on the number of plants I am going to grow next year. With that out of the way… I am so psyched to try these Biker Billy's next year. I have to agree that the jalapenos you buy in the store can be quite bland. Great job twisting my arm everybody. Heheheh

sounds like biker billy is the winner in this group...i will definitely look it up.

ultrazelda i will look into the mammoth as well. i dont ever let my jalapenos ripen, i dont like the taste of them when they're red, so that shouldnt be a problem for me.

jalapeno m has been the absolute best jalapeno ive ever grown. the taste is so far beyond anything at the store and i was really impressed with the size. ive never been able to grow a jalapeno pod longer than 2 inches, but these were really pretty big, all things considered, with nice heat and plenty of good flavor.

Back