• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best non-floral hot and super hot peppers?

Hi folks,

I'm just wondering which hot and super hot peppers are completely non-floral?

Please list your favourites.

(You might list any that lose the floral scent/taste when dried or cooked but please put a star next to them, i'm mainly interested in completely non-floral)

Haveagoodweekend.  :fireball: :fireball:  :hi: :hi:

Superhot: bhuts/nagas
Hot: chiltepins/bird peppers
Below that heat level there is a lot to choice.

Sincerely if you really aim at ZERO floral taste you should simply steer away from c.chinense at all... too bad they make the 99% of the THP threads.

Datil

Datil said:
Superhot: bhuts/nagas
Hot: chiltepins/bird peppers
Below that heat level there is a lot to choice.

Sincerely if you really aim at ZERO floral taste you should simply steer away from c.chinense at all... too bad they make the 99% of the THP threads.

Datil

Thanks Datil, How about Baccatum's in general? They seem closely related?
And Dorset Naga?

Thanks again.

Dr. Weird said:

Thanks Datil, How about Baccatum's in general? They seem closely related?
And Dorset Naga?

Thanks again.
Baccatum have a completely different flavor profile from chinense, you may love or hate them as well but i've never associated 'floral' to baccatum... I think 'lemony' (or a bit 'soapy' for the ones I don't like much). It's all a matter of personal taste and preferences.
Dorset Naga is just a Naga Morich adapted to Dorset climate, as long as you like nagas you'll love it as well. There's some taste variations between different nagas/bhuts types but I've never found one that I don't like.
Also mind that the floral taste is way less disturbing when you dry peppers and consume them as flakes/powder.

Datil

Datil said:
Baccatum have a completely different flavor profile from chinense, you may love or hate them as well but i've never associated 'floral' to baccatum... I think 'lemony' (or a bit 'soapy' for the ones I don't like much). It's all a matter of personal taste and preferences.
Dorset Naga is just a Naga Morich adapted to Dorset climate, as long as you like nagas you'll love it as well. There's some taste variations between different nagas/bhuts types but I've never found one that I don't like.
Also mind that the floral taste is way less disturbing when you dry peppers and consume them as flakes/powder.

Datil

Soapy is definitely a trait i'm hoping to steer clear from as well....

I was thinking of making a different thread but i don't want to stretch my subject matter too thin, so i might as well ask in this one-

What would your 2 favourite varieties be for- MILD (~1,000-10,000 shu), HOT (~10,000-50,000 shu) & VERY HOT (~50,000-500,000 shu)?
(don't include super hot's as you said, they almost all are floral to certain extent) 

So, 2 varieties of each level, 6 varieties in total.... don't be shy to mention why they are your favourites, and what their flavours are like.

Thanks.  :P  :P  :fireball:  :fireball:

I think taste is subjective, and varies from person to person.  Additionally, I'm not even sure if my interpretation of "floral" or "fruity" matches that of others.
I don't think Carolina Reapers are floral, metallic, or bitter.  But I've heard them described as all of the above.  I taste them as sweet, mostly.  (until the heat renders my palette unconscious)
Floral for me is more along the lines of Fatalii, which although I like it, is floral to the point of being perfumy.  To me, that limits its versatility as a pepper.  It's very good for what it's good for, but it isn't good for all things.
I think that there are relationships between capsaicin and sugars.  It seems like very few super hots have much sweet to them, where lesser hots can really pack a sugar punch.

Back