• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Best option for cleaning used pots

Hi all. Unfortunately due to ants taking over my pots and bringing aphids with them, my first year came to an end yesterday. I'm looking at re-using the pots for the seedlings I have growing, but want to make sure they're properly cleaned before I use them again. For some reason when I took my plants out, 1 of the pots I had a jalapeno plant in looked like it had a green slime on the inside of the pot. I've read on here that both bleach solutions and hydrogen peroxide solutions work for cleaning and sterilizing pots. Which option would be the best for completely cleaning my pots so that when I transplant soon I won't have to worry about contaminating my new plants? 

Bleach is what I used as a teenager when I worked in a greenhouse. We sterilized all tools and containers in bleach water. Very cheap and very effective.

Thanks for the info all. This is what I was talking about on the 1 jalapeno pot. Have no idea why, but it was the only pot that had this. Also had a problem with white flies, which seems to have mostly disappeared since getting rid f my wife's eggplant. So hoping to kill any eggs that may be left as well.
20131024_214931.jpg

I've always washed them out real well with soap and hot water, rinsed and soaked for at least an hour in a water-bleach solution.  But that's just me, seems the folks above have the same basic idea going on with what works for them. 
:)

MeatHead1313 said:
This is what I was talking about on the 1 jalapeno pot. Have no idea why, but it was the only pot that had this.

The green? Looks like algae to me, like one would see on the side of a fish tank for example.

Back