• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Best place for 600W HPS bulb?

My bulb died and this is the first time I'll be replacing it.  Do you get what you pay for, or is there little difference between the $30 bulbs and the $200 bulbs?

Any recommendations where I should order it from?  I live in Canada, for the few places where that might matter when ordering.

I originally ordered from hidhut.com but they had some server error when trying to set up shipping this time, so thought I'd look at alternatives.

Can you find one locally?

Light bulbs are fragile and UPS is heavy handed. On something like a bulb, I would think the shipping costs would be about the same as the premium the hydro shop will change.

Also, 400 watt and 1000watt bulbs can be bought from a commercial light supply house. Don't know for sure if they carry 600, but you could call and ask. That might be another option.

I'm sure there are subtle differences in the price of the bulb, but I doubt that it justifies the price increase.

When I first read your thread title, I thought you were asking where to put a 600W bulb. As in recommendations for a ballast. Then I thought this was somehow connected to your other thread about your asshole vigilawnte neighbor. A 600W probably wouldn't be my first choice for a torture device, but to each his own.

Jeff H said:
Can you find one locally?

Light bulbs are fragile and UPS is heavy handed. On something like a bulb, I would think the shipping costs would be about the same as the premium the hydro shop will change.

Also, 400 watt and 1000watt bulbs can be bought from a commercial light supply house. Don't know for sure if they carry 600, but you could call and ask. That might be another option.

I'm sure there are subtle differences in the price of the bulb, but I doubt that it justifies the price increase.
It honestly never occurred to me to check out any place local.  I'm so used to non-commodity items having such ridiculous markup that I never even consider them.  (Ever pay the going rate for HDMI cables?  :| )

I'll take a look around though, and just hope I don't get myself placed on any no-knock raid lists for daring to buy a bulb in person.

somehow connected to your other thread
Interesting take on it.  It's not as immediately obvious as a torture device, but if you can get it in intact and set him free, it might be a special kind of torture for him to make his way to a hospital and and have it removed without it shattering....  Would really depend on the curve of the bulb, however.
If I'm unable to find anything local, would this bulb be a reasonable purchase?

http://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/electrical/bulbs/specialty-bulbs/eiko-hps-bulb-600w?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CJa8hebvxcACFYhefgodqz4ANg&gclsrc=aw.ds

I assume that there are no "gotchas" that would make it incompatible?  HPS + 600W are the only criteria that must be met?

My HPS is only 250w but I found buying a bulb local was cheaper than paying shipping.  If I had to purchase multiple bulbs than the shipping would have been worth the extra cost and netted me savings. 

It appears that 600W bulbs are right about the break-even point.  I found a local place that sells them for about $20 more than I can find online, which is probably slightly more than shipping but close enough that it's not really worth waiting for delivery.  Gonna pop by tonight and pick one up.

Thanks for the input everybody.

Yeah man I have been a 600w HPS and 250w MH user for years and you usually can't find much of a better deal then buying it locally...at least I have never really been able to find one...if I did it wasn't more then a dollar or two savings which at that point I would rather support the local hydro store...

Wulf said:
It honestly never occurred to me to check out any place local.  I'm so used to non-commodity items having such ridiculous markup that I never even consider them.  (Ever pay the going rate for HDMI cables?  :| )

I'll take a look around though, and just hope I don't get myself placed on any no-knock raid lists for daring to buy a bulb in person.

Do your self a favor and have a local LEO come to your house. Explain to the dispatcher that you are conducting activities that could be construed as illegal and would waste valuable dept time and resources if or when they are notified later. Take the time to show the officer what you are doing and ask that he make sure his incident log is shared with the dept. It is even better if you know the chief of police.
Doing this will save you a lot of aggravation later.

>>>>>>Do your self a favor and have a local LEO come to your house. Explain to the dispatcher that you are conducting activities that could be construed as illegal and would waste valuable dept time and resources if or when they are notified later. Take the time to show the officer what you are doing and ask that he make sure his incident log is shared with the dept. It is even better if you know the chief of police.
Doing this will save you a lot of aggravation later.>>>>>>>

Either that or sue their ass for trespassing when they search without a warrant.

If you're ever bored, search out and read some cop forums.  There are a bunch of them that make it a game to find the weirdest application of a law to write you a ticket.

The good ones are good, but until there's a way to tell them apart from the bad ones they can all stay out of direct contact with me.

And good luck arguing lack of a warrant for a search.  Anonymous tip, a "smell", a "scream", all of them give them the right to kick down the door.  (Or at least rubber stamp a warrant)

Most cops are pendejos, but knowledge of this gives you the upper hand.

Video any  exchange so, when the cop lies in court, he can be prosecuted for perjury and you can go home.

willard3 said:
>>>>>>Do your self a favor and have a local LEO come to your house. Explain to the dispatcher that you are conducting activities that could be construed as illegal and would waste valuable dept time and resources if or when they are notified later. Take the time to show the officer what you are doing and ask that he make sure his incident log is shared with the dept. It is even better if you know the chief of police.
Doing this will save you a lot of aggravation later.>>>>>>>

Either that or sue their ass for trespassing when they search without a warrant.
In cases such as where you have a high output grow light, maybe a anonymous tip from an unruly neighbor or a utility company alert of high usage, they will already have a warrant.

willard3 said:

Video any  exchange so, when the cop lies in court, he can be prosecuted for perjury and you can go home.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I've never heard the word pendejos before and had to google it. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Video is a little hard to be discrete, but you can audio record anything while keeping the phone in your pocket. (That is if you live in one of the free states that allow one party recordings.

willard3 said:

Doing so is a felony in some states.

It is not illegal in any state to video police according to the supreme court.

Cops would like you to believe it, but it's another cop fraud.

Move to CO, WA,OR or AK.

1. Competition is fierce for growing supplies.
2. Glowing lights, wierd smells, and other suspicious activities not actionable resasons for a visit by constabulary.

I have heard several rumors of "what that guy is growing" about me.
I now keep several peppers growing in windows, and have shown quite a few people my grow.
No worries now about that knock or door breach in the middle of the night.

I am finding that 400 and 1k bulbs are way cheaper than 600's. Caution when ordering them online. Not all companies have good packaging practices. Some may just as well put a stamp on the bulb and send it. Can be a waste of valuable time and getting refunds can be time consuming. Home depo and Lowes I find has order online for them. Some local hydro stores carry different brands of 600 but they will be pricey! Several hydro stores told me they really dont carry 600 much anymore as to most customers usually buy 400 or 1k watt ballast these days. Well at least thats what happening around my area.

Back