• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Best pods and ornamental plants to grow for market sales?

I've grown a lot of ornamentals in the past but this year I grew none and I had lots of customers asking for some. So my question basically is, what type of ornamental would you most likely buy from a farmer's market for looks only. My favorites right now are chinese 5 color, filius blue, and royal black or black pearl.
Also what types of peppers do you think would sell well with normal people. I'd like to have a range of heat levels but I don't expect super-hotties to really sell in quantity. When I was at the market last weekend, I couldn't believe how expensive the small containers of mild or medium peppers were. Tiny bell peppers were $1 a piece and very small containers of mixed annuums were $4-$5 and no chinenses to be seen. I really think I'm going to focus on jalapenos as well as sweet and mild/medium peppers for next year unless I find some more hot-sauce makers or another source for sales.

Alot of people here buy Medusas, Explosive ember, and black pearl for ornamentals. And people always ask about them first when they are at the house because of the colors.

I've only seen a couple ornamentals in person, but the one's I've seen and liked were the chilly chili (child-safe), black pearl (beautiful plant with heat) and the Jigsaw (the actual pepper has good heat and it's a beautiful purplish-black that seems almost semi-transparent). Later

can't argue with the black pearl, but this year I grew Medusa, Bolivian Rainbow, Chili Pyramid, and 5 Color Marble. Hands down the favorite every time was the Bolivian Rainbow. Fruiting purple right off the bat made them really stand out amongst the others.

Not sure if there is a huge market, but I almost always see habs of various colors at my farmers market. That and jalapenos. However if I had to choose a pepper to buy just for taste it would be the aji angelo by far. Problem is not too many people would know it and would probably just walk on by.

aside from ornamentals for their novelty, I think whatever is most well known is what will sell for general public...as with anything. familiarity is comfort. whatever is in the big chain grocery stores I would say is the best bet.

Here are some nice ornamental variety: Purple Flash,Calico,Shu,Sangria,Brazilian muulti color acorn,,Black pearl,Spectral,Oz,Masquarade,Bolivian rainbow,Cap 1546,Vietnamese multi color,Numex variety,but the best from all are Italian ornamental variety created by Dr.Stuard(Azienda Agraria Sperimentale Stuard) he create over 10.000 variety of peppers at sity of Parma Italy.Some of those variety are never introduce on the market the guy is the master gardener & his best ornamental pepper is
Traviata also not on market.

Ballzworth said:
aside from ornamentals for their novelty, I think whatever is most well known is what will sell for general public...as with anything. familiarity is comfort. whatever is in the big chain grocery stores I would say is the best bet.
Actually I sort of see it differently. People come to the farmer's markets to get something other than grocery store green and red bells, but yes they usually want something that they can relate to. For instance I notice that purple bell peppers are very popular, sort of familiar but different and eye catching

I agree with Potawie. I don't come to a Farmer's Market to buy common things too much, BUT I enjoy them at a rock bottom price. :) Most of the U.S. population are in fear of peppers so super hots would be a waste. They've got sensitive tongues. lol.

915River, Mario is incredible. The stuff he creates is spectaculuar. I'd LOVE to walk through his fields. I know several who have. :)

Chris

Yes Chris my friend ,Mario is a great person, I love any of his creations of new peppers just awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!

POTAWIE said:
Actually I sort of see it differently. People come to the farmer's markets to get something other than grocery store green and red bells, but yes they usually want something that they can relate to. For instance I notice that purple bell peppers are very popular, sort of familiar but different and eye catching

Yes I agree. Visually if something is pretty than it'll be eye catching, which is why I think you mentioned ornamentals. The purple jalapeno would probably be a good one. They know what they're getting but it looks cool. I may be wrong but stand out looks and/or familiarity are the two elements I'd equate with general public.

When I was selling seedlings this past spring, it seems everyone wanted Jalapenos, Cayennes, Serranos, and the like...and only wanted to pay a buck a piece for them...hell, I have that much invested in each one by the time they are in 3" containers and ready to sell and most people turned up their noses at the $4.00 each I was asking...

Very few people wanted hotter peppers, however, I did sell about 20-30 Bhut Jolokias...

I think that the way you set up your tables/selling area makes all the difference in the world...

This year, I am going to have color photos with a description of the growth habit of each different variety and their heat level for the public...it will be a PIA to collect all this data and pictures, but I think that would definitely boost my sales...

As far as ornamentals go, I think the varieties with varigated leaves like the purple tiger would work great since they make gorgeous plants...

Marbles, Little Elf, and Purple Tigers are the only ornamentals I have had any luck with and I have not tried any of the ones mentioned above...

It just depends on whether you are trying to sell ornamentals or eating peppers IMO....

These are some of my favorite ornamentals so far

Chinese 5 color
chinese5color12yo.jpg

Royal black
6233316141e8b01312dfs4.jpg

Filius blue
623268548_2f5d2fa529.jpg

and here's a Medusa
4639641274de63bc67fbf2.jpg

sorry, I read it but didn't see it... :lol:

Ornamentals-
Fish Pepper is a GREAT ornamental, and the peppers are good, too. The leafs are highly variegated and so are the peppers, which makes for a really interesting looking plant. I'd watch where you get your seeds from though as it seems quite a lot of what's out on the commercial market is crossed and lost it's variegation. I got mine from Seed Savers Exchange as they seem to take pride in keeping solid strains.
Bolivian Rainbow (or whatever South American country 'rainbow,' as there are a few varieties) is a really good ornamental as well- on top of the multicolored fruit and purple flowers, the leafs and stem are loaded up with anthocyanin- in direct sunlight the entire plant is almost black, which really contrasts with the flowers and fruit. Add to all that the damn things are almost indestructable, they're so easy to grow.

For local sales for edibles, the old standbys would be hard to beat as far as volume goes- Jalapeno, Cayenne, sweet banana, Hungarian hot wax, Anaheim, California Wonder bells, and maybe Tobasco and habs. Even if you've set up at a huge market with lots of folks showing up, the esoteric unknown stupid-hot stuff probably will not move like the conventional stuff will. Let's face it- most people aren't THAT adventurous in this particular arena, and most people would consider a Jalapeno or a Cayenne to be 'edgy.' Now that people are starting to get into superhots somewhat, you might put out a few Bhuts since they're the most known. I'd think about a Thai pepper or a Birds Eye as well.

As Jack says- you really do have to advertise, and it's particularly helpful with the ornamentals to show what the finished product will look like. Do a writeup on the plant, add it to a nice big picture showing what the finished product will be. You might add in there that you use no pesticides and only use organic ferts or whatever, or include a writeup on the history of the type, where it came from, what it's uses are, all that crap- it really does help.

Back