• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Best practice for perrenial growth?

As it only dips below freezing a few times a year here, I'm considering trying to just keep the plants alive and kicking through the dark months. It sounds as though this is different than overwintering, so help a noob out. I've got an outbuilding that stays at a minimum 60F thanks to computing power, it gets ambient light throughout the day, what would I need to add so I don't have to start from seed next year?

I love waiting and watching the seedlings emerge, but this would give me the freedom to branch out a little more. Maybe do a new cultivar (or 3) every year :D

Yes, "overwintering" can take many forms, including just bringing the plants inside and treating them like houseplants. I personally prefer taking a bit of a break from tending to them, so prefer to let them go dormant. Didn't do that this year, though, so mine are in the back room just waiting for a chance to get some warm weather.

millworkman said:
They can survive with very little light, especially if there is little watering and the temps stay lower.
I guess that's kinda what I'm curious about. How little is too little? I guess if I screw it up I just do seed again anyway. . . :o

Cool.  The building has 2x2 windows on the south and west walls, although it's under a tree so it's mostly filtered light anyway.  

If my assumptions are correct, production will drop off, but the plants should stay green and leafy, yes?  I need to do research on pruning, too.  

Dunno why I'm worrying about this right now. . . got another 6 months before "winter", best case scenario   :rofl:

OKGrowin said:
no they drop most of their leaves, you could just buy a 1000w light and grow all year long!

Good to know about the leaves.  Don't think the wife would look favorably on raising the electricity bill that much for a hobby :p

Back