• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Best Scotch Bonnet??

After more research looks like the world beat me to it, seems to be common assumption its a goat pepper hybrid lol. Either way they look tasty Ill give em a shot along with the MOAs and the TFMs

I can't tell the Goats and Freeports apart.  In my garden, the goats and freeports both look and taste the same.  Besides the MOAs, TFMs, Dreadies, Foodaramas ..... etc. I grew a new one to me last year called Saraga.  It was super productive and definitely in the 300K+ SHU range.  

I can't tell the Goats and Freeports apart. In my garden, the goats and freeports both look and taste the same. Besides the MOAs, TFMs, Dreadies, Foodaramas ..... etc. I grew a new one to me last year called Saraga. It was super productive and definitely in the 300K+ SHU range.

Old thread I’m resurrecting lol… Harry_Dangler, if you’re still around… which do you like better, the Freeports or the MOAs… and why?

Anyone else have an opinion on the two?

Btw sorry about the duplicate post, not sure what happened there!

I've got quite a few different Scotch Bonnet varieties growing right now with the intention to figure out which I like best. In the 2021 season I already had a papa dreadie, schneider farm and freeport orange plant growing (still growing those same plants now). I liked the schneider farm SB the most, closely followed by the papa dreadie. The freeport was my least favourite of the 3. But that's just my personal opinion of course 🙂

I personally prefer MOA over Freeport bonnets.
IMHO they have better flavor and have more flesh (probably at least in part owing to their Ministry of Agriculture status).
I actually prefer MOA over all bonnets, with P.Dreadie coming in a close 2nd place.

I personally prefer MOA over Freeport bonnets.
IMHO they have better flavor and have more flesh (probably at least in part owing to their Ministry of Agriculture status).
I actually prefer MOA over all bonnets, with P.Dreadie coming in a close 2nd place.

Thanks mlh! Sounds like I’m seeing a trend. All the reviews talk about the Freeport being the tastiest they have ever tested but just goes to show maybe the reviews aren’t always …. Honest reviews? Haha

Not sure. Either way it’s extremely helpful hearing all your first hand experiences.

Thanks! 🤘🤘🤘

The first time I tasted a freeport, it had a habanero taste and that is a "njet" for me so I put the plant away and didn't care about it anymore. The plant kept producing though and near the end of the summer I tried another couple of pods. This time they tasted acceptable. Moreover, the plant had developed into a nice shape that was perfectly suited to make a bonchi. So I decided to keep it over the winter. We'll see how it does this season...

I still wonder why some people say that habaneros and scotch bonnets are the same thing...

We like both the MOAs and the Goats/Freeports but the Goats/Freeports are a bit of an acquired taste for us. Not bad .... just different. They're also much smaller plants here, lower yields here, thinner, hotter, later and seem to get soft and rot more quickly. Our MOAs seem more consistent and have a longer shelf life here. Your mileage might vary based on your climate and seed source(s). We've grown most of the SBs including TFMs, Schneiders, Dreadies, Boyds, Boatmans and many others. They all seem to like our climate and can be great. We're only growing SBs every couple of years now.

We like both the MOAs and the Goats/Freeports but the Goats/Freeports are a bit of an acquired taste for us. Not bad .... just different. They're also much smaller plants here, lower yields here, thinner, hotter, later and seem to get soft and rot more quickly. Our MOAs seem more consistent and have a longer shelf life here. Your mileage might vary based on your climate and seed source(s). We've grown most of the SBs including TFMs, Schneiders, Dreadies, Boyds, Boatmans and many others. They all seem to like our climate and can be great. We're only growing SBs every couple of years now.

Thanks guys. Harry, so out if all of those what are your favorite?

Last edited:
The first time I tasted a freeport, it had a habanero taste and that is a "njet" for me so I put the plant away and didn't care about it anymore. The plant kept producing though and near the end of the summer I tried another couple of pods. This time they tasted acceptable. Moreover, the plant had developed into a nice shape that was perfectly suited to make a bonchi. So I decided to keep it over the winter. We'll see how it does this season...

I still wonder why some people say that habaneros and scotch bonnets are the same thing...

How do you define scotch bonnet? How do you define habanero? How could a scotch bonnet variety not taste like a scotch bonnet?

The disagreement has to do with the definitions of scotch bonnet and habanero, rather than the characteristics of individual pepper varieties. Few will argue that an orange habanero tastes or looks the same as a Jamaican yellow scotch bonnet.

Most of the people I have met from Africa or the Caribbean, they use scotch bonnet as a generic term for any Capsicum chinense pepper. In that use, it is synonymous with habanero, also a generic term used for Capsicum chinense peppers.

I feel like a portion of the online pepper community wants "scotch bonnet" to be synonymous with yellow Jamaican scotch bonnet, but our community already has dozens of scotch bonnet varieties, with different colors, flavors, shapes, and origins. At this point, clarity can only be achieved by referring to the specific variety.

On that note, I have been wondering if any of the red scotch bonnet varieties actually taste very similar to the yellow Jamaican scotch bonnet? The red foodarama scotch bonnet I grew tasted nothing like the yellow variety. I have not tried MOA red, safi red, or the others yet.

I agree that the term scotch bonnet is used for a lot of chinense nowadays. Lots of flavor profiles could be excisting among them as is in habaneros or whatever specific group but some properties should be common within a group in my opinion. In the case of scotch bonnets that should be a bonnet shape right?!
s11821_grande.jpg

Hippy seed company seems to consider them synonymous.

"Safi Scotch Bonnet Orange originates from West Africa.

The plant grows well in a pot to around 70 cm in height and the same wide. An amazing producer of one of the best tasting chillies you can get. First the pods start off green, then yellow and finally they turn to a warm orange colour.

What is amazing about the Orange Safi is the initially sweet flavour you get, when you take a bite. Plus it has the famous bonnet flavour as well. We absolutely love it and find it the sweetest habanero, we have ever tried. Furthermore this chilli has a great habanero heat level, therefore you will be able to make a delicious hot sauce or nice a chilli jam. You could use them in any dish, that requires some heat or even make a flavoursome chilli powder.

All in all one of the best tasting chillies we ever have tried, a great producer, therefor we highly recommend the Orange Safi Scotch Bonnet for everyone, they are amazing.

Categories: Habanero Pepper, New varieties, Chilli Seeds A-Z T ags: Chinense, High yield, Hot, Rare "

Language and taxonomy will always be drifting out from underneath us. When the habanero was its only described member of note, it made sense to call all of C. chinense by that name. When dealing with non-pepperheads, it’s still a useful shorthand to refer to “the habanero family”. I suspect seed vendors use that meaning to reach a larger audience.

On the Semillas web site I also notice a mix-up of habanero and scotch bonnet...

Can’t help with this one. My first year growing scotch bonnets, and the seeds were labeled “orange scotch bonnet” (got em from pepper joes).

Does the Lemon Starrburst rank among the best? It seems to be a trendy pepper at the moment. I am going to try growing it next year.
The original KSLS is probably a very interesting variety to grow but the way the seeds are supposed to be spread, gifted from one grower to another instead of getting them from a reliable source, will lead to undesired phenos and crossing in no time. And based on the photos posted by various growers this is what's actually happening. For me that's enough reason to not grow it although I do have some seeds.

The original KSLS is probably a very interesting variety to grow but the way the seeds are supposed to be spread, gifted from one grower to another instead of getting them from a reliable source, will lead to undesired phenos and crossing in no time. And based on the photos posted by various growers this is what's actually happening. For me that's enough reason to not grow it although I do have some seeds.

That is a really good point. I know that the phenotype of the seeds i have certainly dont match what i have seen from others, though they are tasty enough to keep growing each year.

Back