• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Best tasting hab? Peruvian White?

I know it's subjective, but what is your favorite habanero, for flavor?

How would you describe the Peruvian White for flavor?

I love the Peruvian white and it is a staple in my powders. It is great fresh and powdered. I love the level of heat and at times I can detect a citrus undertone.

Can anyone explain the difference in flavor between the Red Savina and the Caribbean Red? I have been going back and forth on those two [growing space is limited] -- I prefer fruitier peppers... but I have never tasted either. So far the only Habs I have tried are Orange and Mustard.

Edit: I have been doing a little research, and a couple of people said that the Caribbean Red has a "stingy" burn. I consider Jalapenos and Serranos to be kind of a stingy burn... would it be a fair assumption that the burn from the reds would be a far more intense, but similar burn to these two peppers?

Me too Westin, I love the Red Savina. I think the only difference between that and C-Red is heat.
The Savina is a smidge hotter.

But I am no expert.

Thanks for the reply Scovie... I have pretty well decided on the Savina. I might try to convince my dad to do the Caribbean. ;) I just wish I could grow them all! But I just have a small raised garden in the back yard... Might be time to expand.

I got some C-Reds from Justaguy last season, and they were HUGE. the size of a golfball at least.
I want to say they might be a little sweeter than the Savina too, but there might be more factors there...
When they got picked etc.

Savina is still my favorite Hab tho. I put that powder on everything!

Yes... especially eggs. lol

I love the Peruvian white and it is a staple in my powders. It is great fresh and powdered. I love the level of heat and at times I can detect a citrus undertone.

I haven't gotten too much of a citrus taste to mine, but it's hard to miss the citrus scent they have when cutting into them.... I like them, though.... Good heat level.... Hits almost immediately and doesn't last too long....

The Dutch Antillais Red is a great one for flavor too. A little different than other red habs I have tasted with a little smoky aftertaste. Hot and a good yielder too!

Matt

Back