• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Best technique for retaining seeds from pods.

I happen to have a couple of dehydrators from a past era of making jerky.

I happen to have a bunch of ripe and over-ripe pod of peppers I've not grown from Baker's.

Is dehydrating the whole pods w/ the seeds inside as good a method as any for storing seed?

I've removed the seeds from a bunch of fresh pods lately and dried them on paper towels and bagged them, but I'm wondering if it's not more natural to just dry the whole pods w/ the seeds inside and put that in the bag ... which, is how a couple of pods were sent to me recently.

The specific question is, is using the dehydrator (heat) a problem for storing pods that you are keeping primarily for seed?

After learning that CCN's seed supplier stops shipping this week because the temps on the carrier trucks antagonizes germ rates, I'm hypothesizing that using the dehydrator is probably not a good idea if you preserving pods for the purpose of obtaining seed.

Any input ... totally appreciated.

gm

I recommend storing seeds in little marked seed baggies, Then place seed baggies into a shoe box or something of that nature and place it in a cool dark place like a dresser drawer or in the corner of the closet. Ive also heard of people freezing them in ziplock freezer bags. But I dont know how well that method works. Seeds are able to handle temps of up to 110-120 degrees (not recommended). I dont know if they are viable or not. Save them and try it out

I'm no expert but everything I have read recommends removing seeds from the ripened pepper if you intend to keep the seed for future planting. The ideology is the seeds are prone to picking up bacterias etc. if left in the pods. Also, heat is detrimental to seed. I would remove the seed I wanted to keep for planting, and then just dry the others and use as you see fit.

How about this, remove seed from the pod, and then mix h202 with water, like 3:1 ratio, dip the seed for 30-1 minute, dry, and store it in baggy.

For the last 2 years, I have had 100% germination from my own saved seed, so I am a good authority on this:

Step 1 - Only save seeds from fully ripe pods. It does not matter if you fail to remove all of the placenta from the seeds

Step 2 - Put the seeds in a paper cup. Leave uncovered anywhere inside for 30 days.

While waiting the 30 days for the seeds to fully dry, pick up your supplies. Any size ziplock bag will do. Also, get a yellow Manilla envelope. The kind used for interoffice communications. Purchase some desiccant packs to keep the seeds moisture free. They are cheap. I use these: http://www.amazon.com/Grams-Silica-Gel-Pack-20/dp/B0038N30OY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339726366&sr=8-1.

Step 3: After 30 days have elapsed, put a desiccant pack in a ziplock bag, then place your seeds in the bag, seal the bag, label it, and put it in the manilla envelope

+1 for Dragon49 on using desiccant packs... Use it while my rifle is stored away... Believe in those little bbs...

By the way, I'm not with Bakers peppers... Not related to, not affiliated with, nor have I ever really talked to Dale Baker.

We just happen to have the same last name, and live an hour or so apart.

That said, hopefully the over-ripe pods weren't from me?

either way, when saving seed, and dehydrating the pods, I remove the seed first, put it in a paper cup, and put the rest in the dehydrator.

This may not be the most efficient way, but I cut the pods in half, pull out the placenta, scrape it, and place the placentas in a special tinfoil tray that I made for my dehydrator...

seeds go in the cup, on the top of the fridge, where I'll forget about them, and not disturb them for a few weeks.

then into the baggie, with desiccate if I have some.

I got lucky. My commercial oven has a pilot light that stays on all of the time.It's lined with firebrick and maintains near zero humidity at 106 or so degrees.
Just don't get drunkled and crank it to 550 for a pizza :rolleyes: and forget the seed.I never tried storing any long term. Once the egg shells are ready( to crumble) so are the seeds.

I never run my seedstock through a dehydrator. I harvest the pods at the height of ripeness, then within a day or two, extract the seeds. The seeds get a bleach treatment, then go on to paper plates to dry. The pods then go on the dehydrator. I've had seeds run through a dehydrator germinate, but some are killed somewhere around 110 F or so. I think air drying is best for seeds, IMHO.

I remove the seeds from nothing but the best fully ripen pods and place them in deli plastic cups lined with paper towel over the bottom. They will sit on top of the fridge for about a week or so and then into a coin envelope. My germ rates have been exceptionally good and always received positive feedback from all my trade partners.

Seems like removing the seeds from pods which are ripe, avoiding processing heat, and using dessicant to maintain future lack of humidity are the commonality ...

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

ive had very good success with removing the seed from ripe peppers.. and then laying them out on a paper towel.. i then fold the edges up and make a little nvelope out of the paper towel.. store in a cool dry place for about 30 days.. then plant em :) i have had 100% success rate with this on my red chiles and cayennes.. mind you my house has a good ac, and the humidity in my house never gets above 60%.. which is good for florida..

ive had very good success with removing the seed from ripe peppers.. and then laying them out on a paper towel.. i then fold the edges up and make a little nvelope out of the paper towel.. store in a cool dry place for about 30 days.. then plant em :) i have had 100% success rate with this on my red chiles and cayennes.. mind you my house has a good ac, and the humidity in my house never gets above 60%.. which is good for florida..

And a 4 day long winter helps you too. :lol: but that same method will work good for us that store for a few months too.

Lot's of good advice, I am going to try one of the methods. In the past I have used the dehydrator at 95 degrees and dried the pods with seeds intact. I then have removed the seeds and stored in dry cool place (basement). This grow year I had 100% germination on 6 different species using this method. I will do a side by side and see if there is any difference. I guess it is hard to excel beyond 100% however.

I tried to look for it but didn't see where anyone had mentioned halving the pod then let it dry....if the pod stays whole, the moist environment inside the "sealed" chambers will be very beneficial to bacterial growth...halving the pods and just laying them on a chinette paper plate in a fairly dry fairly dark place and just lettin them dry is a good way to save bunches of seeds without all the labor of "pickin' seeds"...oh yeah...mark your plates with a sharpie...after the peppers dehydrate naturally, the seeds just pop off when you need them....

Back