• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Best Type of Grow Light?

I have about 72 cells underway (some with 2" seedlings already) and 8 cups of seeds just started 2 days ago...

I would like to get some type of a grow light...what features of qualities should I look for? I have an florescent desk lamp with 2 18" 15w Cool White bulbs in them (30w total)...would that work? It would probably be enough for my 72 cell tray but not for the cups I just started....dont really want to spend extra $ on it....

what do you think?

TheJollyRancher said:
Armadillo,
Just until I can plant outdoors...

If you don't want them to flower or carry fruit about every warm white or day white CFL will work. My jalapeno and cayenne planted on November 4th already have a lot of buds, the cayenne had one flower but lost it. I use a 23 W, a 18 W and a 7 W CFL.

CFLs will be the cheapest solution. You can get these clamp light fixtures which are basically a light socket with a cord attached that comes with a reflector. They're about $6 at the hardware store, located on the same isle as the extension cords.

Looks like this:
N7NT.jpg

You can use any standard screw-in CFl light in them. I prefer the 42W ones, most lumens/watt and they're about $9 a pop. Shouldn't need more than 1 or 2 of them, they put out like 2700 lumens I believe.

Like these ones: http://www.1000bulbs.com/42-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/

FC42-24542-200x.jpg

TX,

The 105 watt puts out 6,900 lumens (65.71 l/w vs. 64.28 for the 42-watt). But they are about three times as expensive.

Mike

wordwiz said:
TX,

The 105 watt puts out 6,900 lumens (65.71 l/w vs. 64.28 for the 42-watt). But they are about three times as expensive.

Mike
I looked @ that 1000bulbs link again, the 42w = 2800 lumens = 66.66 lumens/watt :)

And they're only like 9 bucks at walmart or lowes. 15 bucks a bit high.

Tx,

The main reason I went with the 105 watt bulbs was that I needed to install fixtures for them also. Plus, I ordered six at a time and got them for $25 ea.!

Mike

Okay...I have a lighting question. I currently have 2 CFL bulbs which are the equivalent of 100 watts each. They give off a combined 3200 lumen of light and are 6500 k. I only want to get the seedlings to a point where I can plant them outside in May (when the risk of frost is gone.) -- I am thinking of replacing the bulbs with a couple brighter CFLs. The ones equivalent to 200 watts each which give off 3000 lumens apiece. However, I can only find them at 4100 k.

So, finally, the question -- which is more important lumens or color? 6000 lumens/4100 k vs. 3200 lumens/6500 k?

Or, should I maybe only replace one?

Thanks for your advice.

Armadillo said:
If you don't want them to flower or carry fruit about every warm white or day white CFL will work. My jalapeno and cayenne planted on November 4th already have a lot of buds, the cayenne had one flower but lost it. I use a 23 W, a 18 W and a 7 W CFL.

Why do you think they will not flower or produce fruit?

Dale

Sheldon why not buy another light fixture to run your new bulb and also keep what you got thus running 3 or 4 bulbs. More lumens and a fuller color spectrum.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Sheldon why not buy another light fixture to run your new bulb and also keep what you got thus running 3 or 4 bulbs. More lumens and a fuller color spectrum.

Yeah. I could do that! Will the plants still be happy with the color of the light at 4100 k? I know the 6500 is the extreme blue that encourages leafy growth and the 2700 k is the yellowish light that encourages flowers and fruit...but what does the 4100 k encourage?

More light will encourage more plant growth. The advertised color is what the naked eye sees. A nice mix of bulbs at different spectrums is better than all your bulbs being the same. I start with 6500k floro and move to a 4000K MH. You could just move your plants around as they need different light.

PrairieChilihead said:
I know the 6500 is the extreme blue that encourages leafy growth and the 2700 k is the yellowish light that encourages flowers and fruit...but what does the 4100 k encourage?

Higher electricity bills?

Seriously, it's something like a middle ground thing. If you are doing this just to plant outside later, go for the foliage growth.

Mike

Back