• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Best use for unripened/unripenable peppers?

Unfortunately, the slugs decided it was a good idea to make life as hard as possible for my few pepper plants this year. Every single one was eaten down to a nub, from which about 35% came back. But due to this speedbump, they weren't really happy until the end of the season. This being the case, I have quite a few green peppers harvested pre-frost that I don't feel will ripen fully on their own. A few of them are completely immature, but most of them are about probably two weeks (warm weeks) away from changing color. Obviously, a few are well on their way. 
I know I can use the Jalapeno's as usual, but what should I do with the Cayennes and Thais? I'm going to give them a little bit of time to see which ones start changing, but then I'll need to make a move to be able to use them fresh. 

IMG_0110_zpsfb2d7075.jpg

My scorpions and habaneros are indoors already for overwintering. :D

Best ideas, GO! 

-Arthur

If you're going to wait a day or two to see what will turn make sure to stick em in a paper bag with a banana -- I was in the same position and in 3 days I've got about 1/2 to turn for me. Read about the trick on another green chilli thread on THP as a matter of fact.

Pickles sound delicious. I might just do the with the leftovers myself.

green chiles can be used the same as ripe chiles, they just have the green flavor as opposed to their ripe flavor. 

If you're unsure how you want to use them, dry 'em, freeze em, make some AJ's Puree, any of the chiles processed these ways can later be utilized for sauces, etc...

Another vote for pickling.
Sometimes I'll put green cayennes in a jar of cider vinegar and stick in the fridge to use on cooked greens and other vegetables.

Back