• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

best way to fund pepper hobby/obsession

What alot of people dont realize is this is truly recycling. Alot of people want new cars every few years, I got a twenty y/o cherokee that costs alot less to operate per month,including repairs, gas, maintenece than even a ford focus payment per month. Don't get me wrong I'm not cheap, I just know where I'd rather put my money.....like a 90 minute ipa...lol.
I want a pre 1927 ford....for moving things and shopping the rest of the time I'm happy to bike, bus , train or take a taxi.

http://s1109.photobucket.com/albums/h422/bama_boy1975/Peppers/Pepper%20Products/

This is a few things that I do with my peppers. I was also wondering what to do with all these wonderful peppers so that they did not go to waste. I came up with a 4 things that worked for me. 1, make jellies and jams. 2, make spicy apple/pumpkin butter. 3, make hot sauce. 4, make powders. I have also made, using the jellies that I have made, Jelly Thumb Print Cookies (spicy of course) that are WONDERFUL!!! All of these recipies can be found on www.allrecipies.com. Here is a pic of my jams that i have made. I ran out of room in my pantry to store jars. I have also just started pickling them too. I will let you know how that turns out as well. The best part of all is that all of my "canned goods" will last up to a year (or more), and make a great christmas gift!!!!! Just some ideas for ya.

DSC04907.jpg

If funding is an issue, don't let what some people do make you feel that you *need* to spend a lot of money, you don't have to do that to have great yields. I compost, swap and save seeds, and use a moderate amount of synthetic fertilizer in (free) 5 to 7 gallon buckets, though I've been gradually moving to larger and larger buckets as I come across them.

My largest expense was by far about ~ $0.25 a day for CFL lighting till they were put outside, BUT for most of that period you can subtract a portion of this cost from your furnace fuel and/or electricity consumption bill... if it is warm enough that the furnace isn't coming on, it's close to warm enough that the plants can stay outside. Beyond lighting, everything else cost me less than half a cent per day per plant. The greatest cost is the time spent but if you enjoy it...

One idea is to grow another crop that is more in demand than hot peppers and sell that at a farmer's market. It won't be much additional time or expense and it's easier to find customers for foods they are more familiar with than really hot peppers.

Back