• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Best way to water seedlings?

I just transplanted my seeds ( partially germinated ) into plastic cups. I put the few cups into a pie tray and put water into the pie tray hoping that the water will be absorbed into the soil through the holes in the bottom of the cups.

Is this the best way to water seedlings? What about when they pop though the dirt and come with their first few leaves?

Thanks !

now let me as you this.. I just checked the new seedlings and the soil doesnt really look moist. Should I drop some water on top? or just water heavily underneath and let it soak up and discard the excess water in the pan

It depends on how big the container they are in. It could be just the very top is dry and the rest is wet.

You can let it soak in the bottom for a while then if you want, trow some water on the top. But remember, pepper seeds like to have the soil dry out briefly/occasionally between watering.

If you water from the top, be sure to do so gently so as not to wash the little seedlings loose from the soil.

/ thats what I was worried about. Yesterday night is when they went into the soil. so, I watered them once last night. Soil may or may not be dry. Is it worth to buy one of those hydrometer thingys?

When I sow seeds I put them in the potting soil then literally drown it from the bottom up, until the soil is almost a slurry. Pick the tray up and let it drain, then cover it so it is sealed and sit it over a the top of a chamber where the bulb is. The temps generally stay between 72-76 degrees. After about four days or when the seeds sprout, whichever comes first, I uncover it and stick it under lights. I don't let the soil dry out completely but I keep all but the very top at least moist.

Mike

"At least cover them to create a greenhouse atmosphere for the plants"

Not the best idea. This causes mold and fugas problems.

imaguitargod said:

Iggy,

Not in three or four days! But it does help retain heat.

Mike

I do the same as wordwiz, fill the seed tray with Pro-Mix, bottom water until saturated put one seed in each cell cover with sifted Pro-Mix and spray with spray bottle. I have found that for me, doing it this way softens the seeds up and I just spray the tops of the cells as needed. If the seeds do not germinate for a couple of weeks then i may need to bottom water the cell tray again.

Dale

wordwiz said:
Iggy,

Not in three or four days! But it does help retain heat.

Mike
Well, ya, if you've got quick sprouting seeds, the greenhouse lid situation is not a problem. But certain seeds are natorious for long idle periods (Habaneros and Jolokia), then don't cover. I usually as a rule of thumb don't take any unnessicary risks when it comes to the early stages of plant growth.

Iggy,

I sowed 30 Jolokia seeds on the 26th and followed my method. The first one was up on the fifth, though I admit only four have shown up so far.

But yeah, no way would I keep seeds in a sprouting tray for 30 days with a dome over it. Ten days would be my max.

Mike

imaguitargod said:

I'll second that. Last year I covered mine and after a couple of days there was fuzz growing on the soil. It's better to let air flow over them.

All you need is a dash of hydrogen peroxide in your water. That stuff gives mold the ol' cockpunch.

I keep mine under cover until they all begin to germinate, so they can be in two weeks, sometimes more, and I just don't have damping off problems.

I wouldn't top water unless seedlings start to wilt.

Bottom watering should do the trick.

Covered until sprouted is absolutely fine.

From mold spores' behavior, I would submit that they don't have cocks, however, a good "vagina punch" may put them in their place!;)

Back