pests Best ways to counter Aphids?

The best solution to aphids Ive found Is a strong blast from the hose (damages their little sucker parts) and a good smoosh with the thumb (damages everything else)  aside from that I would employ diatomaceous earth, its completely safe to everything without an exoskeleton.  Since your plants are indoors no need to worry about bees.
Geonerd said:

Call me 'cautious.'
how bout i call you "sane" especially when you could just soak some cigarette butts in water and it would be plenty toxic to little bitty aphids.

Geonerd said:
The first few google hits suggest a soil half-life of 1~6 months.
Given how toxic it is, a big dose (technical overdose) could take many half-lives to decay to a bee-safe level.

Call me 'cautious.'

bees have to eat the stuff or otherwise be exposed to it. imidicloprid in the soil matrix poses 0 risk to bees.  60 months is for soils that are absent any oxygen or biological activity.

bees are most sensitive to it immediately post treatment via spraying. even then its gone in several hours. maby a day. its sensitive to sunlight to a great extent. most new pesticides are.

imidicloprid dust\flowable powders persists,and continues to be deadly but thats because its compounded with DE or clays. if you are dusting or using the WP formulations you need to keep it from going airborn. this is simple.

with imidicloprid all you have to do is spray pre flowering, or soil drench when you are flowering. you could even spray in the eveniing and probably be ok by dawn the next day.

Topsmoke said:
how bout i call you "sane" especially when you could just soak some cigarette butts in water and it would be plenty toxic to little bitty aphids.

except cigarette juice is not systemic.

have fun smashing and spraying shit. seriously. if you like doing that shit then keep on.
but, i think any sane person could accept the safety and efficacy of a very commonly used chemical pesticide without all the hand waiving about imagined dangers.

queequeg152 said:

except cigarette juice is not systemic.

have fun smashing and spraying shit. seriously. if you like doing that shit then keep on.
but, i think any sane person could accept the safety and efficacy of a very commonly used chemical pesticide without all the hand waiving about imagined dangers.
and you can choose to surround yourself with toxins that have never been tested out of isolation. You have more faith than i do that the people who make this shit care more about your health than profits.

Topsmoke said:
and you can choose to surround yourself with toxins that have never been tested out of isolation. You have more faith than i do that the people who make this shit care more about your health than profits.

never been tested out of isolation....

ok.  thanks, were done here.

i cant resist bullshitters. 

Topsmoke said:

did you even read what you posted?

the paper is postulating that the adjuvants are more toxic than glyphosate itself.

adjuvants are the ingrediants that keep the active ingrediant suspended in an emulsion... or keep it stable, or keep it in solution, or allow the chemical to stick to leaves or lay out in thin films. the chemical cited in that article is the latter. a surfactant.

so glyphosate is less toxic than SURFACTANTS? soaps? more specifically non ionic surfactants?  you think this supports your assertion? you assertion that shit is just thrown out onto the market and not tested? it does not.

this isnt even news, some surfactant adjuvants have been suspected to be endocrine disrupters for a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonylphenol

one of my favorite surfactans is APE(alkylphenol ethoxylate) is a well known bad actor surfactant. being phased out as we speak. 
it was briefly used it in condoms back in the day.

this is not news at all. this isnt even related to glyphosate, save for any synergistic effects that the two may present.

adjuvants can and are always changed and altered to make products cheaper or work in different formulations... this particular surfactant could be removed from any manufacturers formulation in a heartbeat if this turned out to be a real issue.

i dont know for sure, but if i had to guess, this is another invitro study with human cells in a petri dish being subjected to unrealistic concentrations of chemicals... these do not represent much with respect to real world conditions, they are pretty much the biochemical equivalent to a proof of concept.  showing how the mechanism works and effect things on a cellular level.

Lovepeppers said:
 I tried azamax, killed everyone, it took care of the leaf miners, leaf hoppers too.

Yup it is pricey but it works.

queequeg152 said:
IMIDICLOPRID YO.

Still haven't figured out the conversion to mix per gallon of this. Big jug just sitting under the sink!

queequeg152 said:
i cant resist bullshitters. 

did you even read what you posted?

I thought we were done. 
I did read it, its very apparent you did not.
"did study multiple concentrations of Roundup. These ranged from the typical agricultural or lawn dose down to concentrations 100,000 times more dilute than the products sold on shelves. The researchers saw cell damage at all concentrations."  So please tell me again who the bullshitter is, The one who thinks he knows or the one who admits there is no way of knowing so why take the risk when you dont have to?

I can't recommend Azamax highly enough. After trying all kinds of insecticidal soap, neem oil, ladybugs etc the only thing that worked was 1 single application of Azamax. It's a bit pricey but it only took about 1 TBSP in a 2 liter sprayer to take care of 18 rather large outdoor plants. 

This is what they looked like before application: 

mnDJkHDh.png

About a week later I couldn't find a single aphid on any of the plants and I actually didn't have any more pest problems for the remainder of the season. I will be using Azamax this year as a proactive treatment before I have a problem and again if I run into any aphids.

Seriously, save yourself the headache & spend the cash on Azamax and a decent sprayer. It's worth every single penny. I wish I had found out about it sooner, it would have saved me a lot of frustration.

Show those little red-eyed buggers no mercy
Qa2a8nah.jpg

thats an amazing macro shot... im guessing this was done with a real camera? not one of those usb microscopes?

Chewi said:

Yup it is pricey but it works.

Still haven't figured out the conversion to mix per gallon of this. Big jug just sitting under the sink!

you know i looked into that once for someone. there isnt actually any guidelines for individual container media.  best approximation i could find was related to transplants of some ornimental via the imidicloprid water dispersable granuals mixed into the container media.

didnt seem to apply to vegstable crops though. i forget exactly what dosage i use. its been a long time since i had aphids. i think it was like 1/4 ounce per gallon or something but i cant be sure. 

Topsmoke said:
I thought we were done. 
I did read it, its very apparent you did not.
"did study multiple concentrations of Roundup. These ranged from the typical agricultural or lawn dose down to concentrations 100,000 times more dilute than the products sold on shelves. The researchers saw cell damage at all concentrations."  So please tell me again who the bullshitter is, The one who thinks he knows or the one who admits there is no way of knowing so why take the risk when you dont have to?

lol i inferred it was an invitro  because yes, i read it.

note how they reference human imbilical cord cells? do you think they are fucking with babies in the womb to get this data? 

no they are scraping cells into a culture and subjecting them to roundup formulations that contain the surfactant. this experiment means very little considering these cells would almost certainly NEVER see concentrations like that, in the same ratios ever.  like i said, its just an investigation into a possible harm mechanism.

look at blood plasma levels of recreational drugs. these are infinitesimaly small figures... parts per billion usually. the kidneys, liver, and stomach prevent lots of shit from getting into the blood and tissues. gee, i wonder why.

your idiotic risk averse logic could apply to literally every single chemical in existence. what you are ignoring is risk verses REWARD.

we use roundup to increase yields and lower costs.

why risk it? because we can generate  more foot at a cheaper cost. its that simple. 

queequeg152 said:
thats an amazing macro shot... im guessing this was done with a real camera? not one of those usb microscopes?

Cell phone camera pressed up against the eye piece of my fancy binocular microscope at work.

Even managed to snag a video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx-pBXiLwFw

damn thats crazy. my usb microscope thing blows compared to that picture.

it has like 0 depth of field. you can focus on like half of bug at a time. it sucks.

queequeg152 said:
your idiotic risk averse logic could apply to literally every single chemical in existence.
because we can generate  more foot at a cheaper cost. its that simple. 
Hmm, i wonder why you had to resort to name calling, you must not have felt your argument had enough weight.  Neither do i.  and please oh please show me the research from an independent lab that empirically proves your claim.  http://grist.org/food/miracle-grow-indian-farmers-smash-crop-yield-records-without-gmos/
Its really interesting how angry and desperate pro-chem gardeners get trying to convince you they're right. You trying to convince me or yourself? cause if its me dont bother. peace out.

Topsmoke said:
Hmm, i wonder why you had to resort to name calling, you must not have felt your argument had enough weight.  Neither do i.  and please oh please show me the research from an independent lab that empirically proves your claim.  http://grist.org/food/miracle-grow-indian-farmers-smash-crop-yield-records-without-gmos/
Its really interesting how angry and desperate pro-chem gardeners get trying to convince you they're right. You trying to convince me or yourself? cause if its me dont bother. peace out.
so i guess we are done arguing about glyphosate.

im under no illusions that i can convince people of your ilk. im meerly correcting bullshit for the benefit of others,ad hominem  not withstanding. 

so you are shifting the burden of proof onto me, philosophically speaking this position is hilarious since it is you who is standing upon a preposterous claim not me (refutation of all peer reviwed literature and general consensus etc.)

i will include some links. however im not expecting your to accept them, perhaps others will though.

http://news.berkeley.edu/2014/12/09/organic-conventional-farming-yield-gap/

Earlier studies have estimated the organic versus conventional yield gap at around 25% (about the same magnitude as the “antioxidant gap” that favors organic, see our July, 2014 meta-analysis of the nutritional differences between organic and conventional food).  But in this new study on yields, across all comparisons, harvested organic yields were 19% lower than conventional yields, with the largest and most consistent gap in nitrogen-dependent cereals.  But when cereals are grown in rotations, the yield gap falls by one-half or more, to below 10%.  And among leguminous crops, the gap largely disappears, no doubt mostly because they affix much of their own nitrogen.

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2015/10/11/usda-data-370-crops-organic-farming-lower-yields/

The reasons for the gap vary with crop and geography. In some cases the issue is the ability to meet periods of peak nutrient demand using only organic sources. The issue can be competition from weeds because herbicides are generally lacking for organic. In some cases its reflects higher yield loss to diseases and insects. Although organic farmers definitely use pesticides, the restriction to natural options can leave crops vulnerable to damage. I’ve posted a much more detailed summary of this information on SCRIBD with the data at the state level.

regardless, GMO crops are not jsut about yield. in fact most of the gm corn cultivars are not that different than most of the hybrid cultivars available without gmo traits.

"organic" crops can easily out yield a similar gmo crop. it just depends on the intensity of the cultivation. the question you SHOULD be asking is does organic out yield conventional given the same imputs? the answer to that is sometimes, but not usually.

organic farms rely on crop rotations for nutrient demanding food crops far more than conventional farmers... most often the non organic growers will out yield a given organic farm simply because they can plant out more often than the organic farmer.  synthetic nitrogen, water soluble phosphate, calcium are huge too, but are used less than you might think in huge commercial scales.

its all about saving money.
given that the biggest capital inputs are labor. you save the labor spent in spraying chemical pesticides, as in the case of BT trats, and you save labor and cost in tillage, as is the case when one has to till under weeds prior to planting.

the actual savings from lost yield in GMO verses organic is reletivly small... i think its like 20%. i thought it would be higher.

lowering cost just also happens to benifit the environment as well, as less spraying and tilling as i said above is required to manage weeds and pests.

its quite simple. if these traits were not worth the money. no farmer worth his salt would be paying extra for them. do you think farmers are stupid? their profit margin is like 3% on average if you include loan interest(vaguely recall).

ive said it a billion times... ive no problem with people growing 100% organic and what ever else, i just cant stand people trying to justify it with bullshit.
consider yourself lucky that there are people like myself, with copious time to waste... because most organic evangelists have ZERO dissenting information views with which to temper their nonsense world view. 

Back