• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Bhut Jolokia Plant (Purchased on Ebay)

To me...however this is my first time ever growing peppers....it looks like i may have gotten lucky on my ebay purchase.

7e17e9ad-orig.jpg

And speed ahead about 3 days and it now looks like this...

c5a0c653-orig.jpg

If anyone wants seeds for these I would be definitly interested in trading! I did/am isoloating the flowers!

did you get these from hirts? I got a 4 pack from them, but they might be habaneros from what I Have read.

can you PM me the seller I just want to know for reference.

thanks.

I did get these from hirts actually, and was very worried about them being habs or carribian reds. However looking at this first pepper I am very very encouraged that they are indeed bhuts. To me..and someone more experienced can chime in here, this first pod looks like a text book bhut jolokia.

yes that definitely eases my worries... LOL....

I got mine just in late May / June I think ... so hopefully there selling legit stuff now. and the 4 of mine are bhuts also.

thanks..

Looks like a bhut jolokia, both the pod and the leaves. They must have finally decided to start selling the real thing after screwing people over and refusing to admit it/believe it for years. I still would never order anything from them though. They send the wrong plants/seeds all the time, but at least now if you order a bhut jolokia there's at least a chance you'll actually get a bhut jolokia. :D

I will know for sure in a while with mine also.. I will post back and tell everyone.

Not to help promote there business but to clarify things better whether they are actually shipping product as described now.

Did you buy seeds , or a plant? it looks big, how old is it? can you or will you tell us the seller? thank you i know it was a lot of questions. i on the other hand got the typical ebay purchase, zero germination zero growth. the "master gardener" that sold me the stuff told me it was probably the poluted nyc air. i told her oh "i thought is was from the dog poo dirt i stole from central park that was causing my problems. :rofl: ps she is longer listed on ebay i guess enough of complaints and she came up with a new name.

I bought 4 plants from Hirts on Ebay back in Mid May, and they were like 6 inches probably at that point. Now they are both probably only 3 feet tall, however they are very wide...I don't have a measurement on them atm but they are wide enough to be bushes lol. For whatever reason they decided to grow horizontal instead of verticle.

It seems I have genuine Bhut Jolokia plants, however overall it seems they have a very bad rep for not sending what they're claiming to be selling. I didn't know it when I bought these but it seems I was one of the few lucky ones...or they've cleaned up there act I'm not real sure. When JesterJoker gets some pods on his plants that he also bought from hirts we may know more on whether they are cleaning up there act and getting things right now.

I'm now playing the waiting game for ripe pods...oh how time slows waiting for peppers to ripen.

I had almost killed all 4 of mine, aphid attack, I was keeping them to wet.. I got one into a hydro bucket really late... I only have them in 2.5 gallon nursery pots, how big are you pots swilllx2p? I think mine are very close to root bound. because the one I transplanted was like a head of hair, and was growing up around the side of the container.

I'm definitely taking some clippings once I figure out if its a true bhut.. its sounding EXACTLY as you said... for sizing though..

I got mine in late June, and they are tiny compared to your plants... but about the same when I got them.

One of them looks to be ready to set flowers on this huge sideshoot, off the side of the plant.. its also seeming to grow strangely wide not tall (like a Christmas Tree, big bottom and pointed top.), I had a lot of vegatitive growth going still.

I put my largest, into a DWC bucket, and the roots are now budding around the basket, so it should be reaching for nutes soon, and grow like a weed, I hope... in the next month I can get it to set at least a few pods that I can harvest for indoor grow 2011/start of 2012 season.

Sorry didn't see the response...

I have some pictures I will post them tonight, they look pretty sickly, and they are in 2.5 gallon containers, except for the 5 gallon DWC, which the roots have doubled in the past few days. I'm starting to wonder if I have enough oxygen in that thing?

I will post them up. I have a ton of leaf loss because of my homemade concoction of bug spray that shined up most leaves and the big leaves fell off, so its playing catch up on growing leaves back.

The good news is one of them maybe 2 have buds forming, so I hope I can squeeze out a few peppers from that before the season is over.

I purchased 4 'bhut jolokia' seedlings from Hirts gardens on eBay last spring and they turned out to be red habaneros of some kind, most likely carribean reds. My buddy also purchased the same thing from them and received the same red habanero plants that I did. I know they have received a lot of crap all across the internet for their shady dealings and hopefully, for anyone who has bought from them recently, they have cleaned up their act and are actually selling what they claim. Your plants and pods look good though! Good luck! Either way I would not recommend them and severly attempt to dissuade anyone who would consider purchasing anything from them because of what I went through.

I've counted 17 peppers on my plants now, all sporting the bhut jolokia look! Curious to see what your plants look like Jester. I may be able to give you an idea of how long ago mine were at where yours are now.

tried my hardest last night, it rained like CRAZY last night and this morning.

I will get pictures tonight, my plants are pretty bad looking, I'm kicking myself in the ass for spraying some homemade bug spray on them.

Which caused the loss of every big leaf on the plants, which I'm sure hurt the plant production.

The good thing is these side shoots are looking to be popping peppers soon. I see at least 4-6 little buds popping out, on the side shoot
and it was looking like ones I had seen online.

At least this will give me a chance to cross pollinate and start my Cayenne / Ghost cross that I want to produce.

also my hydro one is looking very stunted.. I think I hurt the roots a bit transplanting.. the good thing though is they are growing fast again into the bucket.

here are some of the peppers.. there are pictures of my cayenne peppers also first, (store bought grown from a few inches tall to the plant it is now)

and my hirts bought 4 ghost peppers... that I injured majorly.

Before anything is said, these peppers are coming back from deaths door, I practically killed them stupidly.... my seedlings are looking great those so I know how to start seedlings and keep them healthy...

heres some shots.....

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

hopefully I will find out soon if these start to set peppers, I hope in a month it will at least put out a pepper for me so I can
know whether I have habaneros or bhuts...

They're definitly looking rough...Hard for me to say where yours are at in comparison to mine based on how they look now. I'll post updated pics of my plants tonight.

they lost most of the large leaves off the peppers when they got singed.. I'm talking like 14 leaves each probably at least.
I see that they are popping flowers soon, I hope to get a few peppers out of them so I know for sure whether to clone them and bring them inside..

Back