• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bhut Jolokia Purple Question

I ordered seeds from PepperLover this year (and they were great so far!), and as part of my order I received some Bhut Jolokia Purple seeds as a gift. I decided to germinate some. I threw 4 in, and 3 successfully germinated.

One of the seedlings looks different from the others. I searched online at pictures, topics on this site, and as well as through members' glogs, but was unable to find my answer. One of the seedlings is completely purple - stem and leaves. I was unable to see this in any other Bhut Jolokia Purple plants online. It seems that this hybrid will have purple veins in the leaves, as well as a purple stem, but the leaves stay fairly green (like my other two seedlings I am guessing).

Anyone have seedlings that came up pure purple before? Is the Purple Bhut stable? Possible throwback? I am going to grow them all out anyways. Hopefully they will all produce so I can compare any differences. I know these aren't 'true bhuts' by the way - that much I managed to research :D I just didn't find anything on stability or pure purple seedlings.

Purple seedling:

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

Green seedling:

IMG_3106.jpg

Sorry Mods - I could have sworn I was in "Hot Pepper Talk" and not in "Growing Hot Peppers" :( My first thread, and I failed :(

Looks like a pimenta, r they under lights ? Might just b light burn , it will fade as it grows but keep an eye on the others as u light might be to close

Most of mine were pure purple last year. They naturally look light burnt, but that is just the way they grow. Interesting chile and not a bad flavor, but it is definitely not a bhut, and they ripen to red. My pods were only purple when very young.

i had some purple and some green plants last year... was not overly impressed by flavor or heat of either. they were all very prolific however.

I haven't grown this one, but my purple jalapenos are similar. Most of them come up as purple seedlings, but some of them don't. They will have varying degrees of purple in the plants but all of them put out purple pods (some green mottling) that ripen to red.

I got some Naga Jolokia Purple seeds from Pepperlover last year. Nice looking plant with purple pods but no flavor. They come up completely purple like yours.

Thanks for the answers guys! Interesting that some seedlings come up purple, and others green. I will grow them all out anyways, so I will compare if they are any different when it comes to pods. Sounds like it is just 'normal' though! Thanks again!

Back