• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bhut Jolokias - slow growing or just not the right mix?

I am in need of a bit of help. I am growing 3 plants right now. Choco bhut, yellow 7, and butch T. They are all in Happy Frog organic soil large clay pots and get about 7-8 hours of sunlight each day. The buych T and yellow 7 look great with many buds and strong/broad leaves.

My bhut plant seems like it is going at about half the pace and the leaves seem a bit flimsy. The bhut hasn't started really producing buds (trimmed the first few but it only has about 4 right now) so I haven't started using the bloom fertilizer yet but I will be in about a month.

Anyone have advice for growing bhuts?

Agreed. My bhuts were well ahead of my Butch T's when they went in the ground, Butch T's are a good 6 inches taller and much thicker at this point. Bhuts are a bit slow in my opinion, but it seems like the yellow bhuts I have are faster than the chocolate and the reds.

It may depend on your strain seeds. I am growing not far from you and my red bhuts have been my strongest plants. My Butch T and 7 Pot have lagged behind but are now growing furiously (may catch up if it ever stops raining every other day?) Good luck with your grow! BTW...Have the Jap Beetles shown up yet out your way?

Bhuts Take A While To Grow Some Dont Even Produce Flowers Till 4 Months at Times....Just Take Patience And Let Em Enjoy Light.....ALSO if the plant/roots Is to big for the pot the plant with also grow slower so pictures might help.....i had the problem had em in small pots for a while and didnt realize the pot was to small for the plant and i put them in bigger ones and grew like if they were on steriods and fast too! Dont Over Water Either. Good Luck :onfire:

My red Bhut`s are the slowest out of all my plants, to germinate & to grow.

Bhut don't worry they will be fully grown next year eh (perennials) :party:

Mezo.

Thanks for all of the advice. Right now, mine are in 3 gallon clay pots and the are elevated about an inch off of the ground (to help drain). They aren't tremendously smaller than the others but they are slightly behind. I just hit them with the first round of bloom fertilizer yesterday so we will see how they react.

To answer SanPatricio, I have not yet noticed the japanese beetles but I have been hitting them with an organic bug spray every few days to keep the white flies away.

Back