• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bhut Jolokia's

How are are these peppers to germinate? I bought some seeds from a guy who swears he has over 100 of em growing from the same seeds at least that's what he says. He sent me some more that look a little bigger and perhaps better.I have not tried those yet but the the first batch I
tried about 35 of em in various mediums to learn what was best and after 1 month ZERO had come up. So 2 weeks ago I put the remaining 100 seeds in a tray of Black Gold potting mix set that into another tray so that it wicks water from underneath and mist it up top then placed a dome on top. This sits on a heat mat, it's been 2 weeks now and nothing. So is it me or are they just bunk seeds. Gotta be honest so far this pepper intimidates me a little lol.

they germinate slower than a lot of peppers as do all superhots. they also like the temp pretty high for germination. i keep mine at 85 or so. a month seems like a long time to have no success at all.

Mine took about 10 days in moist paper towels in the airing cupboard. I had 40 seeds harvested from a plant I grew last year and about 30 germinated.

they germinate slower than a lot of peppers as do all superhots. they also like the temp pretty high for germination. i keep mine at 85 or so. a month seems like a long time to have no success at all.

Yea that's what I thought I put down some Butch T's and Infinitys at the same time and had a few up in 8 days. And do fat am 0 for about 135 of the Bhuts. It's gotta be the seeds heh?

my bhuts started sprouting between 12-15 days in a burpee seed starting tray with the cover and bottom heat from a light under the tray

You know I think I cooked em .. lol. I just got a thermostat today and hpoked it up to my heat mat and since it's been hooked up for about an hour now the mats been off that tells me it was way warmer than 85 degrees ..

yeah...I've had them take from 4 to 20 days or so...but I always have some start after about 7 days. Something is definitely wrong.

For me, I kept them in a humidity dome at 84 degrees, damp soil, and I had 90% of them germinate within 2 weeks The latest ones popped up around a month after planting. I think the seeds will not sprout when exposed to conditions above 90 degrees. As long as your room isn't too hot, the heat mat shouldn't raise the temps "above 85" degrees..

I'm still waiting on my Bhuts to germinate. Pretty much every other pepper, including the 7Pods and Trinidad Scorpions, have had a few pop out. Still, it took a good week and a half before I saw any activity on the superhots.

Then again, I'm being considerably less fussy about all of this... keeping them in plastic bags with damp paper towels in a bottom heated reptile tank where I'm guesstimating the temperature by touch.

Well I finally put a thermostat on it last night and set it for 86 degrees It's an upstairs bedroom so along with the T5's and a thermostat (house) set around 70 degrees it stays fairly warm. I'm 2 weeks in today it will be interesting to see if they pop now with the t-stat.

Without a thermostat when I was experimenting this summer n fall.. I cooked seeds like no other, I don't know if your using hydro farm mats but once I got a thero I decided to find out what they run at without one.. my soil was at 105-110 degrees under HOT5s and on the hydro mats, gotta remember that the lights will heat the soil as well so when you have 2 strong heat sources your gonna be deep frying those seeds like french fries at mcdonalds. I'll be amazed if you don't see results now with the thermostat. Sounds like you have almost if not the exact set up I do, so to give you an idea, my bhuts took 8-14days.

Brandon

Without a thermostat when I was experimenting this summer n fall.. I cooked seeds like no other, I don't know if your using hydro farm mats but once I got a thero I decided to find out what they run at without one.. my soil was at 105-110 degrees under HOT5s and on the hydro mats, gotta remember that the lights will heat the soil as well so when you have 2 strong heat sources your gonna be deep frying those seeds like french fries at mcdonalds. I'll be amazed if you don't see results now with the thermostat. Sounds like you have almost if not the exact set up I do, so to give you an idea, my bhuts took 8-14days.

Brandon

Yeap I think I cooked em ! : (
On a side note what do you use to test PH?

Yeap I think I cooked em ! : (
On a side note what do you use to test PH?

For soil pH, I use a pH meter. I don't know how you would test pH with plugs though... I think that depends on the pH of the water/nutes you give them. There doesn't need to be any lighting when they haven't sprouted yet. I don't think it has any benefits, unless that was your only heat source.

Back