• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Bhut....not hot....weird

Hi there....I've got two bhut jolokia plants growing side by side.  Seeds from University of New Mexico......One plant is producing peppers that are the hottest thing I've ever put in my mouth, as expected.  The one next to it however, nothing....not even a hint...???? I'm confused!!!! Possible that these aren't what I believe they are?  

time to do a "watch me eat 40 bhuts in one sitting" video on youtube and enjoy the following lol

upload to http://imgur.com and copy the embed code that starts with

no need to do extreme membership... see the above post by Browning to post pics

Pictures help TONS in chili I.D. forum..... without them, it's a crapshoot.

Without pictures, I can only assume you're like me and tasting baby green peppers because you can't wait for them to ripen! lol. Baby green peppers have little to no heat.

lol....will do...I'll have to do tomorrow...will be my first priority after work! Better pics in the daylight anyhow....thanks for the interest guys! the crazy thing is....the ones with no heat look more like the real deal than the ones that are burning hot....will post tomorrow asap

Not at all.....I mean nothing....dominoes pizza banana peppers seem like the hottest thing on the planet in comparison.....I haven't been able to try one yet that is FULLY red....still a little orangish greenish at the very tip.....I'm sure that the red will deepen even after the full change, but these guys have nothing to them at all right now......am I crazy....or is that just weird?

Interestingly enough, the ones you are labeling as Bhuts don't look like bhut jolokias to me. Quite gnarly and I'm sure they are hot, but they look too smooth. 

the not hot ones look more like Bhuts, but the calyx is all wrong. 

Sorry for the pics stolen from the web, but I'm too lazy to take pics of the pepper sitting right next to me...

Ghost pepper - look at the calyx. 
ghost-pepper-slide.jpg

Yours. 
q1u3pc1.jpg

The not hot one might be a cross. IDK. 

Jeff H......I don't know much about growing these guys, this is only my second year attempting....is there any reason why growing a habanero in an earth box next to these two supposed bhuts in the same earth box right next to the habs would cause some kind of cross contamination that would screw everything up?  It is very weird that the "bhut" that is closest to the habanero is hot, but smoother, and the furthest "bhut" from the habanero has the bumpy evil look, but has no heat.  Thank you so much for your input/interest.....I want to get things right next year.....sucks to put so much effort into something and not get the expected result....last year I had completely bogus seeds from some place on amazon.....learned my lesson.  I read a post on this site suggesting the chili pepper institute at the university of new mexico as a reliable place to get legitimate seeds......that is where I bought these.....

The cross-polination wouldn't have an effect until the next generation (aka, the seeds you plant from the pods from this year).  So no, having it next to hab this year won't affect this years crop.  CPI is indeed a reputable place to get your bhuts, but even CPI isn't perfect.  Sometimes they can get a cross, it's just the way it is.  Whatever you have on your hands, it's definitely not a true Bhut, either way.  The ones that are hot look more like Red Fataliis to me.  And a true Bhut would indeed have a high level of burn to it.

This is a prize imho, a narly Bhut-looking sweet pepper, hold onto a bunch of seeds for trading!!

The tops (calyx?) make it resemble a baccatum cross.

And it's University of New Mexico seed stock to boot...

I'll save seeds for sure...although they have now crossed with the plant I have next to it.  Would be fun to post a you tube video of the man who can feel no pain.......eat like 30 of them and smile....:)......anyhow....if anyone wants some seeds I'm open to sending them out.

Back