• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bhut pods turning purple

My second batch of bhuts are really starting to come in well, they're about half their full size, but they're starting to turn purple. Why is this? Is it normal or do they have a disease?

The only thing I can think of is this past week or so it's gotten suddenly cold (50-60 degrees) at night which is alot colder than it's been. Maybe the shock of the cold did it?

Anybody know?

Can you posts pics?
I know on some "other" plants severe cold will turn the inflorescence purple, but I've never had a pepper go purple (I haven't grown sizable amounts before this season however).
Maybe you got purple bhuts?

I have some Limons which have a purple blush to them, but it's only the pods at the top of the plant that get the most sun. The ones shaded by the leaves aren't doing that at all. Is your circumstance similar, or is it all the pods?

Now that y'all mention the sun from what I remember the purple pods are the ones that aren't shaded by the other plants.

Can the sun have bad affects on them other than the color change?

Now that y'all mention the sun from what I remember the purple pods are the ones that aren't shaded by the other plants.

It can, but not in Maryland I wouldn't think.
cheers-
DJ

I suspected that might be the case, but didn't want to make any assumptions.

Your second question: Think about plants in their natural environments - the sun doesn't do them any harm, in and of itself. (Lack of water, however, will compound the effects of the sun, so if it doesn't rain and it's very sunny, yep, damage will occur.) However, as always, you have to keep the human factor in mind. For example, many seeds out in nature sprout and thrive in full sun. However, we frequently sprout seeds indoors, so moving them too quickly into full sun can damage or kill them. At this point, though, assuming you've been growing your plants outside, the sun won't do any damage to them (again, with the caveat that they receive sufficient water.)

They looking a bit like this 7 Pot Barrackpore? It spends most of it's time in the sun. I think it looks cool and it doesn't hurt the pepper.

DSC007761550x1163.jpg

both my hungarians and my jalpenos did the same thing, the hungarians then ripened up to their normal colour with no hint of discolouration. Still waiting for the jalapenos hehe.

They looking a bit like this 7 Pot Barrackpore? It spends most of it's time in the sun. I think it looks cool and it doesn't hurt the pepper.

DSC007761550x1163.jpg
If you notice patrick's avatar there you will see how sun can cause albino-ism :lol: j/k with ya patrick

My second batch of bhuts are really starting to come in well, they're about half their full size, but they're starting to turn purple. Why is this? Is it normal or do they have a disease?

The only thing I can think of is this past week or so it's gotten suddenly cold (50-60 degrees) at night which is alot colder than it's been. Maybe the shock of the cold did it?

Anybody know?
I have the same thing going on.

Its no big issues, Soil, climate conditions. Can cause it. but I live in Georgia
its still in the 80s during the day time. I am getting them turning purple at moment.

purpleness is spreading.

Back