• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

media Bhut seeds and peat pot warning...

So I bought some Bhut seeds off the internet a few weeks back. Along with them came a note saying "DO NOT USE PEAT POTS!". My naturally defiant self decided to go against the warning and use them anyways. Out of the 12 seeds all 12 have sprouted and are doing wonderfully. Can anyone tell me why they tried to warn me away from peat pots?

~Joey

That could be one reason, as peat will absorb up to eight times it's weight in water and dry the soil really quick. But also, there's a very strong movement of Anti-Peat bird lovers that are trying to ban the use of it because it's destroying the wetlands.

Every bhut I planted in those jiffy peat pellets sprouted so I don't think there is anything wrong with using peat.

I saw this on a website before I used the peat pellets but I did it anyway because I didn't think it was really a big deal

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ever use peat pots, peat pellets, or potting soil that is mostly peat.

Everyone always asks "Why??" ---We don't know---It may be that the peat is too acidic, or that there is something naturally in peat that inhibits pepper seed germination? All we know, is that whenever anyone has had problems with pepper seed germination, when the seeds have been proven to have good germination when tested on top of moist cotton--part of the problem has always been peat pellets, or potting soil that was mostly peat. Miracle Grow Cactus mix is low in peat, as is the Supersoil brand.
from http://www.ecoseeds.com/Pepper.growing.tips.html

I started some in Miracle Grow cactus soil because I read that one was not to use peat. Guess what, I started some in peat pellets..faster germination and got 100 percent germination. ONly had 40% germination in the cactus soil. I'm going to continue to use the peat pellets.

Back