• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bhut shriveled leaves...

I have a Bhut and a Numex Twilight that were started from seed at approximately the same time, watered the same and both sat side by side under a 400W MH light. Now the Numex Twilight looks awesome but the top of the Bhut leaves are curled and dry. I moved the light up 3-4 weeks ago to see if that was the problem (the light didn't do anything to the Numex Twilight which was closer to the bulb). The Bhut is just looking the same. Is it a nutrient deficiency?

Here is the whole setup:
IMG_6848.JPG

Numex Twilight
IMG_6849.JPG

Bhut Jolokia
IMG_6846.JPG

I sure will be interested in answers to this inquiry. Two Bhuts started having very curled / shriveled leaves, especially the new growth at the top. (50/50 coco/perlite, 1tsp/g GH Maxigro, 6.0ph. All other plants doing fine.) Since it looked like a gonner and I could not find remedies I tried a bunch of remedies. Sprayed two times with 200ppm H2O2 about three days apart; mixed coffee grounds in the pots, flushed with h2o, dosed the feeding solution with 200ppm h2o2, and changed the location.

Whatever, it took about two weeks to start showing recovery with new leaves. The plant is doing fine now (cross my fingers.)

I am not professional like some of the people here that could provide you with a better answer. The edge of the leaves on your bhut look burned which could be over fertilizing or the nutrients are too strong. the bubbling occurs a lot with many of my plants which is from a lack of calcium, but it could also be from over watering depending if the bubbling begins to pop. If it is a lack of calcium I just add little bit more cal-mag to those plants and watch the new growth have no more bubbling. That the best information I could give I am sure someone will catch your thread and help you better.

I was reading about calcium and using bone meal to help. Maybe that's worth a shot?

The fertilizer I used is the same concentrate and watered at roughly the same interval as the Numex Twilight (if that helps at all). I wonder if the Bhut is just more sensitive to over fertilizing, while the Numex Twilight can handle it better? I'm not too sure.

It looks like it has out grow that pot so trying moving it up and check out the roots.

Yep you were right. I repotted the Bhut and the base of the pot was just a clump of roots! I repotted the Numex Twilight too and it was starting to show the same signs. We'll see how things improve. :D

It looks like it has out grow that pot so trying moving it up and check out the roots.

So you're saying that the shriveled leaves are an indication the plant needs a bigger pot rather than too much [sunlight]? I have the same thing going on with my 7 pot in places. It's producing a lot of peppers but I was wondering if I had to get it a larger pot.

No shriveled leaves are caused by various factors. When I looked at Conrad picture of the Bhut if u notice the new growth was turning brown and shriveled real bad, which is the similar issues I faced with my pots that were outside when I left them too long in small pots and became root bound needed to prune the roots and leaves.

Looks like a reaction to an aphid infection or magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) deficiency. I add 2 tbl of epsom salts for every inch of growth every other watering on my plants. Peppers need a LOT of MS.

I am glad your plants did recover. It is disconcerting when one of the babies gets sick. I cannot bring myself to toss any.
No posts here for a while so I will just add $0.02.
1- My bhuts are inside grow - certainly no aphids but maybe some real tiny things that created "hair." did not look at all like spider mites.
2- Two tbs of mag every other watering does sound like a lot from what I read (will try that on a set next grow). I am using GH MaxiGro & MaxiBloom dry that both contain Ca & Mg. I did run some Epsom salts through as back up and did a thorough flushing on most. This is my first grow year so just trying to learn from the experienced growers.
3- Plants were in 1 gal size and actually recovered before repot to #5 pots, still using 50/50 coco perlite, with about 2 cups coffee grounds peer pot. So far all are doing well except the Charlestons.

From reading the many posts I get the sense there is rarely a single simple answer so I work through those that may fit.

Good Growing.

Back