• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bhuts

Two plants grown next to each other both are from same seed stock, the first peppers from each plant are strikingly different in appearance, any Ideas?
IMG_0104.jpg
IMG_0105.jpg

This hits on something I have been wondering about. Corn has silks and each is attached to an individual kernel. I have been wondering if the pollination of a pepper is the same in a sense. I am thinking this could lead to each seed being slightly genetically different. I have found isolation and self pollination give me more consistent results. Of course this could be and probably is totally off, but I am sure there is someone on here with the knowledge of the microscopic workings involved.

Nope, but I approve of your bottle cap! HA HA!!

This hits on something I have been wondering about. Corn has silks and each is attached to an individual kernel. I have been wondering if the pollination of a pepper is the same in a sense. I am thinking this could lead to each seed being slightly genetically different. I have found isolation and self pollination give me more consistent results. Of course this could be and probably is totally off, but I am sure there is someone on here with the knowledge of the microscopic workings involved.

You actually have that spot on. Each seed is pollinated by one individual piece of pollen. You could possibly have 20 different crosses in a pod that has 20 seeds.

So many mutt peppers. It looks like I will be growing all OP seeds in 13. I am actually kind of hoping for some fun mutations and variations. Once I get my growing down I may move to more pure plants.

if it is an f1 hybrid, it should grow significantly faster than a stable variety. just thought i'd throw that out there.

The mites distort leaves, I had an outbreak when these plants had flowers and pods starting to form, out of 8 or so Bhuts 3 plants got hit hard(had to cut em back) 2 no damage 3 others, moderate the 3 with moderate damage produced the most distorted pods. Its just a theory, this didn't happen on other plants(mostly Annumm) that blossomed after I had eradicated the mites even though their leaves where still distorted the new peppers looked normal.

Back