• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Big-Ass Red Jalapenos

The local Mexican grocery store has become my own heaven. They were stocking red habaneros for a while, and now when I went in today, no red habs, but they had some nice big (and well-corked) red jalapenos. Best of all: 79 cents a pound. That's even cheaper than the green ones anywhere else here.

Needless to say, I bought a bunch. Now, what do I do with them?

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

eat a bunch, freeze some to cook with, smoke some for chipotle seasoning, and you could puree them, can them, and use them through the winter for cooking...

You gotta' ask? The first 'thang you do is make POPPERS! Second, I would whip out a batch of red 'peno hot sauce. I'd do them up at the same time and when the poppers are done, splooge 'em with the hot sauce. Just do it! Do it now!

Salute', TB.

Newbies....they are the only ones that have to ask what to do with peppers. :rofl:

Seriously though, I would do everything that has already been mentioned. I love the versatility of JalapeƱos and just love a good popper (I can't get enough :lol:). Hope you enjoy your good find!

POWDER!!!!!!!

POWDER!!!!!!!!

Holy hell, I run out of ripe red jalapeno powder by november each year.

Use it in place of "cayenne" in any recipe. Lovely.

Poppers and powder were the first two to come to mind for me, but I just had to see what else I was forgetting.

I can almost guarantee I'll be picking up more in the next few days. This is just too good a find to pass up. No one here ever carries red ones, just green-- until now!

I didn't get too many because they seemed to take a LONG time to turn red, but the few smoked ones I had didn't last a week they where so good! Lucky guy!

texas blues said:
You gotta' ask? The first 'thang you do is make POPPERS! Second, I would whip out a batch of red 'peno hot sauce. I'd do them up at the same time and when the poppers are done, splooge 'em with the hot sauce. Just do it! Do it now!

Salute', TB.

Seconded! Poppers is the way to go!:hell:

I would take the peppers and make some poppers but with sausage meat with some "devil" dust and add some smoked gouda cheese in the meat and on top!

Slice them in quarters lengthwise, deseed, and dehydrate.
I've been doing that to all of my jals and they make excellent snack sticks.

forgot one way you can fix them...

Make Texas Tooth Picks...slice lengthwise in about 1/4" slices, dredge in a batter (ov your choice), and either pan fry or deep fat fry....these are delicious

....That does sound lovely AJ!!

I find that the green ones are fine for poppers. I like the red ones for powder because they are so rare, and the sweet ripe flavor really seems to come through in powder.

Ripe red jap powder is what turned me into a pepper lover.

I happened to get some, and subbed it for cayenne on my famous ribs. Only difference.

The difference was not to be believed.

That jap powder kicked up my generic rub 2-3 notches.

Back