• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Big Bang Naga

I received a pod this Summer labeled Big Bang Naga. It was about the size and shape of a small Bhut Jolokia but had smooth skin. I saved the seed from it and now have a few plants going. Just wondering the origin and if I should expect it to grow true or if it was likely a F1 or F2 hybrid. Any info is appreciated.

Toby

Its an unknown variety I grew and named several years back from Bangladesh sourced seeds but they turned out to be hybrids and are no longer "big" :( I'm surprised how much these seeds have gotten around

Here's what they looked like when I grew them in 2008. Next year's had some brown/chocolate podded plants
2899437880_532e875ac2.jpg

Thanks for the info Potawie. I will grow these out and see what they become this year. The pod I had was bright red and , hard to tell for sure from your pic (and my memory), probably just a little smaller than your 2008 pods.

Ya, the next generation were dissapointingly small and smooth and as already mentioned, a few people reported getting chocolate/brown podded plants

I grew them in 2009 and was very pleased with the pods...I had chocolate, peach, red, orange and some were almost purple...the heat was kinda like a chocolate hab or a little hotter to me....

The one pod I was given was not in the super hot category but, I must have felt it worthy to grow as I saved the seed. I gotta start taking better notes!
Looking forward to see how it grows this season.

I grew them in 2009 and was very pleased with the pods...I had chocolate, peach, red, orange and some were almost purple...the heat was kinda like a chocolate hab or a little hotter to me....

After reading this again... Were all those different colored pods each on a different plant?

Wow AJ, are you sure there weren't some white, pink, and blue ones too? Maybe a fluorescent one? :) Cool.

Chris

yup...all on different plants...I had maybe 15 plants

and I know it sounds crazy, but thats what grew out...

All mine last year ended up the same, dissapointing red small bang nagas without super heat

This is why I originally called them bigbang nagas. Big plant and big pods. Actually the pods don't exactly look really big in this pic
3861632025_0164aea22e.jpg

Back